Train revenue protection

2»

Comments

• Quick update. After 5 weeks of waiting finally got a letter. Thankfully it's an administrative settlement of £82. If i pay it goes no further. It states on the letter "we note there is no previois incidence of similar nature on file in your name and although not obliged to do so the company consider this is a matter that may be suitable for administrative disposal" this is allowing me to dispose of this allegation administratively.

I have the chance to write back with my version but I don't want the hassle and feel £82 to get rid if the stress and worry is a small price to pay.
  • Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Magistrates Court doesn't work like that. If the matter goes that far they MUST prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you boarded at the station that they claimed that you did. If they are unable to do that or you can demonstrate a reasonable doubt to the prosecution case, then the bench or DJ must find you not guilty.

If they are considering a prosecution under Bylaw 18 then I would advise writing back to deny the allegation. This type of offence is non-recordable so your employer has no right to know about it. Therefore you have nothing to loose by contesting it and everything to gain, especially if you manage to humiliate the railway company with a not guilty verdict in the Magistrates Court or successfully appeal your conviction to the Crown Court or High Court.

However if they are considering taking it to the level of a Regulation of the Railways Act prosecution then it might not be worth potentially going to trial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure