Phishing Scam suddenly emails turning up...

Options
I know these are an issue for everyone, but until a couple of weeks ago I have never had these in my comping email account that I've had three years without this issue.

They'd been directed into spam anyway, but having received three today I checked my email with Have I Been Pwned and it didn't show anything.

As I only use this for comping and a couple of online shopping companies I wonder if there's been a breech somewhere but not reported yet.

I make sure I read the tick boxes and am picky about competitions I enter.

Most hilarious was the FBI wanting to give me money! :rotfl:

Comments

• Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could be genuine, Zanzib. Perhaps the FBI are so fed up with Brexit that they've decided to branch out and run some competitions :D

As for the other stuff, I've had lots of those emails ever since my early comping days. Trouble is, once they have your address, I suspect they hang on to it, and pass it 'round'. Sorry to tell ya.

Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blulu wrote: »
    Could be genuine, Zanzib. Perhaps the FBI are so fed up with Brexit that they've decided to branch out and run some competitions :D

As for the other stuff, I've had lots of those emails ever since my early comping days. Trouble is, once they have your address, I suspect they hang on to it, and pass it 'round'. Sorry to tell ya.

Blu XXX

It's a hazard of comping of course.

Though I did wonder if a company had been indirectly breached by the ShareThis data breach.

https://www.sharethis.com/data-privacy-incident/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport