PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

40 denier tights

Just wanted to share a little discovery I made this morning.
I regularly wear black opaque 40 denier tights to work and usually after even one day they are all "scratched" on the back of my legs and on the knees. Usually I just buy cheap ones from Pr*mark and have to throw them away at the end of the day (but being OS and on a low budget I obviously hate doing this!).
This morning I wanted to wear thicker ones but didn't have any clean pairs. My other half joked "Just wear 2 pairs of 40 denier". So in desperation I did!
I was amazed to see that they look quite thick when worn together and you can hardly see the scratched lines. Not perfect, but defintely good enough to get a bit more wear out of each pair. I'll be doubling them up from now on!
Sadly it doesn't work with ordinary 15 denier!

Comments

• Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That takes me back to the 70's when money was tight for me and most of my friends. We used to do this with ordinary tights to make them look more dense. And when 1 leg laddered, we cut it off and kept it until it happened to another then wore 2 bodies with a leg in each half.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes, I used to do the one_legged thing as a student. Times were 'ard back then.
    I had one friend who used to put nail varnish on ladders to stop them running any further and another who insisted on NOT doing this , her logic being that then people would think maybe she.'d only just done the ladder, rather than actively wearing laddered tights!
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    That takes me back to the 70's when money was tight for me and most of my friends. We used to do this with ordinary tights to make them look more dense. And when 1 leg laddered, we cut it off and kept it until it happened to another then wore 2 bodies with a leg in each half.

That's a good idea! I've never thought of that! :T
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you are going to do the one leg/two bodies thing make sure they are the same or very similar shade..... you can guess what I did one rushed morning!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My mother happily recalled nurses doing this wearing black under brown as it enhanced the apparent contouring. (Laddering was either a haven't time to worry or catastrophic thing.)

My father looked a tad thunderstruck - it had never occurred to him!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ouraggie wrote: »
    Yes, I used to do the one_legged thing as a student. Times were 'ard back then.
    I had one friend who used to put nail varnish on ladders to stop them running any further and another who insisted on NOT doing this , her logic being that then people would think maybe she.'d only just done the ladder, rather than actively wearing laddered tights!

I still do the nail polish thing and so does my 15 yo DD, she has told her friends about it too.

I wanted to ask ouraggie - what are you doing to your tights in the first place? I get months of wear out of mine.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Wow, dolly84. How d you manage that? Mine are damaged before I even leave the house! have tried more expensive ones but it makes little difference. I do know that the car seat scratches the back of my calves so I sit on a shiny seat cover now. The knees also seem vulnerable, as does the bit where my shoes meet my tights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure