Free bakers yeast at supermarkets (as it used to be)

DigForVictory
DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 22 March 2019 at 12:14PM in Gone off!
For many years supermarkets would give you a bit of fresh baking yeast if you asked.

Them Morrison’s began to sell it as a product & their bakery staff were not allowed to hand out chunks cut off the blue wrapped block.

Last week, Asda staff stopped - on Management Instructions. I tried again yesterday & the baker I usually chat with explained it’s a high up flap on as yeast can be an allergen & the yeast isn’t labelled “may contain yeast” & so they’ve stopped for the time being “until sense dawns & we get a sticky label”.

I have to say, I think that may not be any time soon & so the family bread making with real yeast is on hiatus. Dash.

Anyone know if other supermarkets are still parting with portions of the live stuff?

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can get it online and on eBay.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PLRFD wrote: »
    You can get it online and on eBay.

Ah but you will have to pay for it.
    The OP wants it for nowt !!
  • I recently got some from Tesco. I went to the bakery area, there isn't a counter, so I waited till I saw someone, then asked for the yeast. They give you as much as you like and they label it up as 1p. I've done it a few times.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Not for much longer , Tesco have announced the withdrawal of in-store baking with just cooking part baked loaves made elsewhere.

Also wave goodbye to the fish and deli counter
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I recently got some from Tesco. I went to the bakery area, there isn't a counter, so I waited till I saw someone, then asked for the yeast. They give you as much as you like and they label it up as 1p. I've done it a few times.

must be area dependant as my local Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose have all told me that they are not allowed to give it away as it has been handled by someone they could be liable if people are ill or allergies etc and they can't sell it as it has to be on a computer system for them to barcode it.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Not for much longer , Tesco have announced the withdrawal of in-store baking with just cooking part baked loaves made elsewhere.

Also wave goodbye to the fish and deli counter

Are the counters just closing or just opening during the day
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Closing for good, pre packed deli items prepared elsewhere

No fresh fish counters

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/1078952/Tesco-jobs-uk-news-food-supermarket-cuts-close-deli-counters/amp
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    There aren't any plans (this year, at least) to close in store bakeries at Tesco.

Some deli counters are closing altogether, some are remaining, albeit on reduced hours.

I've never known yeast to be declared an allergen; it's more likely down to it being handled in an area that's been used for items including Gluten, Wheat, Nuts etc.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure