recommendations on cycling jacket

I already have a wonderful Altura winter cycling jacket but Im really struggling to find a summer jacket which can be bundled up and put into a backpack which offers some protection from the wonderful summer we have here.

Price is a consideration but it must be visible and also packable, anyone bought one and any recommendations?
Old Faithful we roam the range together,
Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
When the round up days are over,
And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
For you old faithful pal of mine.

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've come to the conclusion good kit is worth paying for.

I also have an Altura jacket I use for a short commute, but for leisure cycling I wear a Gore one. I can't believe how good it is. I wear layers underneath, so can use it whatever the weather depending what is under it.

This is my one. There are newer ones, but they are more expensive. I tend to buy a previous one to get it cheaper. I do some night cycling and my wife was determined I got a high-viz one, so I got the yellow / black one.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2019 at 8:24PM
    I have a Gore Windstopper Softshell jacket. I balked at paying £65 for it in a half-price, but it was more than worth it.

It's thin-ish and lightweight, windproof, water-repellant, and you can unzip the arms which makes a big difference to how versatile it is. On cooler days, I fit a cheap synthetic-wool jumper under it (over a base layer and jersey).

I've had it years now, and it still looks in good condition with no real signs of wear.

I *think* this is the one I have (although mine is red and black):

https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-bike-wear-phantom-2-0-windstopper-soft-shell-jacket-EV174519

Definitely recommended.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport