Council tax rebanding - making a case?

Truffles01
Truffles01 Posts: 9 Forumite
Hello all,

My partner owns a two bedroom flat in the Midlands and I was shocked to learn that it's in Band D.

I did some digging and all of the flats in the block are in Band D or C, majority Band D.

The flats were built after 1991, but the flat next door sold last year for 110,000 so a valuation of between 68,000 and 88,000 in 1991 seems very unlikely.

We don't have our neighbors as evidence as they're all in Band D, but this seems to me to be a particularly clear case of the flats being in the wrong band. Anything we can do?

Most of the flats are occupied by students so I wouldn't be surprised if no-one has challenged before.

Edit: a little more info, I think I've found the source of the problem. These flats sold for between 110,000 and 120,000 when they were new in 2001. Looks like a lot of people overpaid for them, they've never sold for more than their new price!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,629 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is there anything special about these flats, e.g. ensuites, good location, nice views, which would suggest they are better than other flats in the area. Look at other apartment blocks in the area and check their bands and any recent sold prices.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure