Lidl to trial removing 9p reusable plastic bags in stores - MSE News

Options
Lidl has announced plans to trial removing 9p reusable plastic bags from its 54 stores in Wales by 1 May...
Read the full story:
'Lidl to trial removing 9p reusable plastic bags in stores'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Guerillatoker
    Options
    Good. I'm terrible at remembering to take my own bags into a shop but maybe I would think twice if a new bag is 38p. We do need a cultural change to lower plastic waste.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ooh, I don't live in Wales, but just in case it spreads to other areas I'd better stock up. I often by these to send items I sell on ebay in, only they are quite strong & work out cheaper than mailing bags of an equivelent size.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a start. Next, they seriously need to consider selling their fruit and veg by weight. I don't always need a bag of apples.

Aldi too for that matter
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On some measures non-plastic bags have more environmental impact than plastic ones which are properly recycled.

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/publications/2011/environment/3611.pdf
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The "single use" bags were very easy to carry around a few in a pocket all of the time, to tack some shopping on to a journey. The "reusable" are bulkier so I carry only one or two and either do less shopping or buy more "reusable" for single use. Noting that failure, now they plan to make it worse and charge 38p after making it harder again to carry around enough bags. Cotton of course would be total failure, too bulky to habitually carry even one.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Charge £1 a bag; people who don't care about wasting a little money would care about spending a lot and change their ways.

We keep our shopping bags in the car when go to supermarket, use the trolley to take the groceries back to the car. If we are out and about we take a couple of bags in our pockets "just in case", if I go to a store for one item but end up buying several, I use my hands to take the items to the car. I've not bought a plastic bag for years, no need to, just a tiny bit of preparation is all that is needed!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bet if some shops charged £10, some customers won't bother to bring their bags.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bet if some shops charged £10, some customers won't bother to bring their bags.
    Some customers would recognise £10, £1 and 38p as shops profiteering with an environmental excuse for it. At the higher levels I'd boycott the profiteering firms because exploiting consumers needs to be discouraged.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    Some customers would recognise £10, £1 and 38p as shops profiteering with an environmental excuse for it. At the higher levels I'd boycott the profiteering firms because exploiting consumers needs to be discouraged.

You're right but some people seem to almost volunteer to be exploited. I'm surprised that people are prepared to pay anything at all just for the convenience of not having to plan ahead.

I suppose it's different for some people but I've always got a couple of folded bags in my handbag and then larger ones in my car (bought years ago in France where they stopped giving out free carrier bags long before UK) for a big shop.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    In the old days, if you didn't have bags with you you took an old box from the store or display and use that for groceries. No reason you can't do that now - supermarkets dispose of a considerable amount of boxes every day - why not use one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure