Council Tax Musical Chairs

Over 10 years ago I successfully challenged my local council tax banding and it was changed for F to E and I received a rebate. End of the matter I thought.

I have now received a letter from The Listing Officer at Council Tax South in Croydon stating that they have reviewed by banding and it has been changed to F, Not only that, but the new charge is being made from April 2018, even though they changed it in 2019.

The successful challenge to my local council for changing the band from F to E was made on the basis of the value of the property on 1st April 1991. This is exactly the same reason that is being given for changing it from E to F. This is clearly wrong. My property has not been improved by any changes or extensions since it was built around 1990.

Does anyone have experience of this happening to them and can anyone give advice on the best way to challenge this ruling.


  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,715 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When this happens, it usually means the band should not have been reduced in the first place. I don't understand why it was backdated though.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards