Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

A company has confirmed they won't be drawing winners

Not sure if we're allowed to name and shame on here so I won't for now.

But I've been emailing back and forth questioning about missing winners for a company that listed weekly winners on their website.

They have confirmed in an email they won't be drawing winners despite this link being active for the last few months and previous to this winners being drawn.

What should my next steps be does anyone know? I've never actually come across this before in the time i've been comping so not entirely sure!
Jan £162 / Feb £???

Replies

• One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    61.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I assume it is pump-audio that you won't mention ;)

This has always been a problem with regular competitions that run every day, week or month with no final end date, but use the same webpage for entries. When they stop awarding prizes the webpage remains live for ages afterwards.

I don't think there is much that can be done in these cases.
  • One-Eye wrote: »
    I assume it is pump-audio that you won't mention ;)

This has always been a problem with regular competitions that run every day, week or month with no final end date, but use the same webpage for entries. When they stop awarding prizes the webpage remains live for ages afterwards.

I don't think there is much that can be done in these cases.
    Im saying nothing ;):rotfl:

But it is somewhat annoying. I pointed out to them in my recent email that the lovely marketing emails they send out would lead to customers (me being one of them, and they are decent products to be fair) but I signed my name up on the understanding someone out there would win something.

So dodgy.

I have emails from a representative confirming they won't be drawing so not sure if that holds any weight...
    Jan £162 / Feb £???
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    IF you want to spend the time you can complain to the ASA who might ask them to take the page/pages down or at least not send out links to then when the competitions are not running

https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

(I know they have confirmed they are not drawing winners but even if they were the GDPR raises doubts about naming them)
    From 25 May 2018, when the GDPR is enforceable, until CAP introduces new rules, the ASA will not administer the existing rules in section 10 and Appendix 3 of the CAP Code.
  • The_3rd_ZebuThe_3rd_Zebu Forumite
    738 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    I lost faith in the ASA a long time ago.

If it is an internet competition you might just consider putting a complaint in to the Internet Service Providers Association.

https://www.ispa.org.uk/consumers/complaints/

Or at least you could just tell the company that you are going to do that.
    45.7K Posts
    Forumite
    I lost faith in the ASA a long time ago.

Surely not, they sometimes give a stern warning to companies and can even put them on their equivalent of a naughty step
    Here we list those who continue to make claims on their online sites that do not stick to the rules despite repeated requests for changes.

(Sometimes companies do choose to put things right but that appears to be just because they want to)
  • Daphne01Daphne01 Forumite
    22.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Oh, I didn't see this before I posted it again today :( I'll add Game over to the title.

Re ASA, I too have lost faith in them after a complaint I had was dealt with badly :(
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

45.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Daphne01 wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't see this before I posted it again today :( I'll add Game over to the title.

Re ASA, I too have lost faith in them after a complaint I had was dealt with badly :(

The link goes to an offer now not a competition so perhaps they have amended the site

Get a set of PUMPs at HALF PRICE!
    We’re currently offering this seemingly ridiculous offer!…

If you order today, we’ll give you any set of PUMP Audio headphones for Half Price.
  • edited 2 March 2019 at 2:02PM
    2013yearofthehouse2013yearofthehouse Forumite
    3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2019 at 2:02PM
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    The link goes to an offer now not a competition so perhaps they have amended the site

The link was changed to an offer about a month ago:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5961764&highlight=pump
    I think the link changing to the offer was what prompted Verksies to email them about the remaining winners if I understand his/her post on that thread correctly?

Posted in the above linked thread on 8th Feb:
    Verksies wrote: »
    This has recently changed to an offer, no longer a competition.

I am in the process of emailing them to ask if they intend to announce winners from the competition as was advertised, considering this is a recent change and no winners have been announced for months.....

As posted (in the thread linked below) by hertzyabazas on 21st Feb, there is another weekly comp link: http://pump-audio.com/win (instead of http://pump-audio.com/comp) giving away a different product.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5967814&highlight=pump

The winners list link (with winners only up to last summer) on the newer one (for headphones) leads to the same list as the old one (for earphones) though, so I'm not sure if this is a replacement weekly comp or if they won't be drawing winners for this one either?
  • sleepyjonessleepyjones Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's hard to tell if they have actually done anything wrong here.

If they were still advertising the page on their site with a banner or a link in the nav then it's a bit fishy but if they had removed any links to the page and the poster of the comp just found it because they know the URL the page then that's a different issue.

I would reserve judgement on that but I suspect they have done nothing wrong.

The /win link : https://pump-audio.com/win/

Goes to a competition to win Zeus headphones, they don't even make them anymore (although they are thinking about bringing them back).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals