We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Howden's worktops

Options
whatsthenews
whatsthenews Posts: 156 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi,
Visited Howden's yesterday and really liked a few of their worktops, but having read reviews don't think we want to bother with all this not knowing the "real" cost and the amount tradesman might be making on the job (other than for labour)
Does anyone know who makes their worktops?

Also-out of interes, are their doors MDF or chipboard? I can't seem to find the info' on their site so assume they're chipboard.
Any of the big names for kitchens have MDF doors? I've previously used an online company who will make doors/panels to any size and they have different styles/finishes.clours including handleless and their doors are MDF.

Was thinking about buying flatpack cabinets from somewhere (not sure where yet!) and getting the doors online and seeing how that compares with DIYkitchens.com prices for complete cabinets that come ready built.

Also-we've just bought a 1960's semi which has a Shreiber ?early 1980's kitchen and has the most amazing , but ancient, built in oven which is essentially a big drawer! Obviously it's seen better days, but it's the BEST oven I've ever used. Has options for fan or regular top and bottom element cooking. Doubt anyone makes one like this and if they did wouldn't be affordable anyway. Anyone (who actually cooks!) have good experience with moderately priced ovens ie under £400? Don't really need a double oven.

AT the risk of being blasted off the forum, I have a BEKO washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer and been very pleased with them. I have no recent experience with oven makes really as we've been living in rented for a few years since coming back from overseas and the ovens were unbranded ones that were pretty poor and very flimsy things.

Any thoughts?
howdens-worktop.jpg

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 23 February 2019 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Howdens prices to the trade are just your usual made up rubbish. They aren't really getting 70% off.

Like anything else do you own due diligence, get quotes from the likes of Wickes, Benchmark, DIY kitchens etc who are all similar then decide.

What the tradesman does is not your concern, the final price is so do your homework and you will know the answer.

I'm pretty sure Howdens doors are MDF.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    Options
    So what is the issue with the fitter making a few pounds on your kitchen. Every time you buy something from a shop, do you think you are paying what the shop owner paid for it.

In terms of Howdens kitchens being MDF or chipboard, it depends on what you are buying. The Greenwich range is Chipboard, the Tewsbury range is Solid Oak. The rest are MDF.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • whatsthenews
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    So what is the issue with the fitter making a few pounds on your kitchen. Every time you buy something from a shop, do you think you are paying what the shop owner paid for it.

In terms of Howdens kitchens being MDF or chipboard, it depends on what you are buying. The Greenwich range is Chipboard, the Tewsbury range is Solid Oak. The rest are MDF.

But seems with Howdens that the fitter is buying from Howden's at a certain price (so he's Howdens customer) and may or may not be passing some of the discount on to you (his customer) and then he's charging how much an hour to fit it?
    I think it might amount to more than " a few pounds" he's making.
    Thanks for the info' re the door materials.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But seems with Howdens that the fitter is buying from Howden's at a certain price (so he's Howdens customer) and may or may not be passing some of the discount on to you (his customer) and then he's charging how much an hour to fit it?

The total cost will be made up of £x units + £y labour + £z VAT

What does it matter to you if x is increased while y is decreased or vice versa?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    Options

But that's how the market works. I buy around 16 kitchens a year from Howdens. I charge to fit the kitchen plus I have a mark up on the kitchen.

But when I go to a customers house, I don't charge for the visit. Nor do I charge for doing the design with Howdens. Nor do I charge for dealing with all of the other trades (electricians, plumbers, plasterers, tillers, decorators) and getting their prices to go in to the final quote to the customer. Nor do I charge for sitting at my desk on a Saturday or Sunday or in the evening typing the quote up. Nor do I charge for every time a customer wants a revision or has changed their minds about worktops, sinks or appliances.
    I have done at least three days work on a customers kitchen before we start on site.

And then there is the mid fit design changes because the customer has been looking at house design websites etc etc.

So that's why I make a mark up on the kitchen as it pays for all of the time that you, the customer doesn't see and doesn't want to pay for. Or I could charge you a much higher fitting charge which you will only complain about.

The choice is yours.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Was thinking about buying flatpack cabinets from somewhere (not sure where yet!) and getting the doors online and seeing how that compares with DIYkitchens.com prices for complete cabinets that come ready built.

That is the route I used - Flatpack units from B&Q. Drawer boxes, door/drawer fronts, and worktop from online suppliers. B&Q don't do 900mm pan drawers, so I had to go elsewhere. But I was fitting myself, and have the tools and experience to make things fit.

Howdens will get their worktops from one of a handful of manufacturers - If you ask them, they may tell you. Alternatively, look on the back of a full sheet for manufacturer's marks.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Ed_Zep
    Ed_Zep Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a Beko washing machine, too. It's superb. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport