PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dead easy dusting/wiping

Options
givememoney
givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 28 February 2019 at 12:55PM in Old style MoneySaving
I can't take full credit for this, I read it somewhere.

I now use this method to go round the house cleaning more or less everything, even my french doors and mirrors.

All you need is a few clean microfibre cloths and a bottle of Mr Muscle window cleaner.....yes even for paintwork.

The old way I would clean mirrors for instance, would be spray and wipe..and wipe...and wipe to rub away the solution.

What I do now is, hold the cloth by one corner in one hand and lightly spray the cloth both sides with the Mr Muscle. Then sort or scrunch it in your hand to distribute. Now you're ready go. Wipe all surfaces and glass with the cloth and it is very quick and easy with no smears.

If you have sensitive surfaces maybe not, but I even use on my oak table with no ill effects.

Have a go and come back here to say how you got on.
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you're going to use a micro fibre cloth, why not go for one like an e-cloth and then just use water? Much cheaper than Mr Muscle, nothing nasty or smelly and works just as well.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use diluted fabric softener on a micro fibre cloth .
    Curtesy of Mrs Hinchs army .
  • Guineapigsqueaks
    Options
    I use microfibre cloths for dusting, sometimes a soapy (but well wrung out) and then a dry one, sometimes just one sprayed over with window cleaner spray, depending on the surface I'm cleaning. Wilko's window cleaner spray is fab and cheaper than Mr Muscle.
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • suelizab
    suelizab Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    boring, go out and have fun or take up a hobby . the dust will be there tomorrow whether you dust or not .
    old enough for my bones to feel the cold .
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    suelizab wrote: »
    boring, go out and have fun or take up a hobby . the dust will be there tomorrow whether you dust or not .

Are you saying you never dust? I do go out don't spend all day every day cleaning, far from it. I wouldn't like a dirty house though so sometimes it has to be done.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was taught to 'damp dust' when training as a nurse, its something I have always done. I never use furniture polish from a spray can. Once a year I use a wax based polish on our pine furniture. vinegar to clean windows is also something I have always done, OH's old vests came in very handy. I wash my micro fibre each week.
  • Happy_One
    Options
    I remember the program How Clean is your House? Kim always used a small white dish cloth, soaked then wrung out nearly dry. I’ve used the same method ever since get packs of dish cloths from Poundland no need for sprays just the tiniest splash of washing up liquid in the water, found this the easiest way to remove dust.
  • sunshine62_2
    Options
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that fabric softener helps reduce static cling and thereby reduces dusting chores....
    I'm guessing a shot of fabric softener in a bowl of warmish water, cloth in and then wrung out well.....
    RE window cleaner (not Windowlene) -- in the good ol' days when I could still afford it, I had the (empty) house cleaned when we moved out. Cleaner used only window cleaner on everything -except the floors and oven- to great effect. For anything really stubborn, a bit of Cif cream did the trick.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I always think of this guy whenever cleaning/dusting is mentioned....

“There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.”

― Quentin Crisp
  • purplesequins
    Options
    "Use diluted fabric softener on a micro fibre cloth .
    Curtesy of Mrs Hinchs army"

But they tell you not to use fabric conditioner when washing microfibre cloths, I've always assumed that this is because it destroys their effectiveness. Wouldn't this technique do the same?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure