Options
13»

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Out of interest, why M5 rather than M3?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    It is not that easy to get a £30k personal loan regardless of how much you earn especially as it will be unsecured. You could lose your job tomorrow, you have moved around a bit and already have some finance which on your income most would query. I am all for investing but that involves some risk so maybe you need to strike a better balance between investing, saving and borrowing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Out of interest, why M5 rather than M3?

I actually went to my local dealership yesterday to look at the M5 they had in as I was thinking of upgrading from an M3, mainly as I wanted something with a bit more space.

I was quite surprised at how little extra, if any, space the supposedly bigger car has. The boot which I’d assumed would be much bigger seemed about the same as the wheel arches intrude so much.

It did feel like quite a step up in quality inside, but it felt much more claustrophobic sitting in the back.

The biggest reason to avoid one though was the ludicrous depreciation. There are cars available today with delivery mileage on for over £30,000 less than the list price.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I actually went to my local dealership yesterday to look at the M5 they had in as I was thinking of upgrading from an M3, mainly as I wanted something with a bit more space.

I was quite surprised at how little extra, if any, space the supposedly bigger car has. The boot which I’d assumed would be much bigger seemed about the same as the wheel arches intrude so much.

It did feel like quite a step up in quality inside, but it felt much more claustrophobic sitting in the back.

Years ago I picked up two friends at an airport with my Citroen BX. The wife could hardly believe how much room there was in the back. One of their cars was a BMW 5 series.

A few years before that I drove home from abroad with friends in a 3 series. When it was my turn in the back I had to take my shoes off to get my feet in at an angle then under the back edge of the front seat.

Six cylinder engine, in line, gearbox, rear wheel drive ...
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gycraig wrote: »
    If he earns 150k a year I doubt he really needs financial advice regarding buying a cheaper car now and saving for the one he wants lol

Perhaps not, but on the other hand advice was requested, and apparently I'm not the only suggesting this approach.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They might not think it's worth loaning you something you can pay off so quickly..

You'd be better saving up for 6 months, or pulling some of your savings/investments and restoring them over 6 months.

Or get the dealer to sort something out secured on the car.
  • bengalknights
    Options
    Increase the deposit to 15k and you should be able to get easier approval for 25k

30k isnt really a typical unsecured loan amount so arouses more checks
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,816 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2019 at 5:25PM
    Options
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows why I struggle to get finance? I make £150k a year, total Bills are under £1k a month
    I am 24 though so dont know whether that makes any difference.
    ?

the likelihood is that this is a troll
    Reasons to suspect:
    - Highlighted text
    - Newly created ID just to post this message

He might be chuckling out there to see the reply s/he has got

"Do not feed the troll"
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2019 at 9:29PM
    Options
    As soon as M5 was mentioned, it started getting dark, and I thought, what's the matter with this thread? . .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure