Sainsbury's Recent Price Increases

Options
2»

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I noticed the other day a 20 pack of Walkers 'favourites' had gone up to £4, from £3.

Assuming PepsiCo manufacture crisps for Sainsbury's, that could be why prices have increased for own brand goods.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Prices are going up in all supermarkets. I have noticed although many base prices are not increasing the offer prices, of which there are hundreds, are not so good. As mentioned above, 3 x 6 pack crisps are now £3.50 in Asda against £3.00. Crisp 6 packs are now £1.25 instead of £1. Many cereals were £1 then £1.25 now £1.35.
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yes I noticed last week when I did an online Sainsburys shop, a lot of things had gone up by 10p-15p that I buy regularly. Also there were hardly any special offers available online.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Prices are going up in all supermarkets. I have noticed although many base prices are not increasing the offer prices, of which there are hundreds, are not so good. As mentioned above, 3 x 6 pack crisps are now £3.50 in Asda against £3.00. Crisp 6 packs are now £1.25 instead of £1. Many cereals were £1 then £1.25 now £1.35.

In fairness, I haven't found that in Aldi. Sainsbury's and Waitrose, but not Aldi.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,618 Forumite
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    In fairness, I haven't found that in Aldi. Sainsbury's and Waitrose, but not Aldi.

Same here, I agree.

I think Sainsbury's are trying to maintain profit margins. They've lost many customers to Aldi so those that are left have to pay more to make up for them. I only go there for the (increasingly) few things I can't get in Aldi.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2019 at 9:04PM
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Same here, I agree.

I think Sainsbury's are trying to maintain profit margins. They've lost many customers to Aldi so those that are left have to pay more to make up for them. I only go there for the (increasingly) few things I can't get in Aldi.

That's exactly my experience (as a former Sainsbury's customer).

My feeling is that Waitrose has been floating its prices upwards (probably due to the company's poor results and the failure of its rewards scheme). At the same time, Sainsbury's has taken a similar path, having decided it doesn't want to compete with Aldi and Lidl on price and is prepared to lose customers like us who are price conscious.

In neither case was this inevitable. Both chains chose to raise their prices.
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    20aday wrote: »
    I noticed the other day a 20 pack of Walkers 'favourites' had gone up to £4, from £3.

Assuming PepsiCo manufacture crisps for Sainsbury's, that could be why prices have increased for own brand goods.

A 30 pack of assorted crisps in Aldi £2.49.
    That's why I don't shop in Sainsbury's now.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All supermarkets are raising their prices( even Aldi and Lidl) but some are putting them up more than others. Tesco were bad for this a few years ago now it seems Sainsbury's have taken up the baton. I barely shop there anymore.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Which crisps are thsse ?
    Walkers. Smiths.

Asda and Sainsburys both increased their prices for 3 packs of 6 crisps from £3 to £3.50 at the same time.

Poundland are still £1 for pack of 6, BTW

I tried the own-brand Asda pack of 6 crisps for 77p; they are really nice, similar to Walkers or thereabouts, but a good price.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    does any own brand do "baked" crisps like walkers - these are only reduced occasionally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure