Rant - train conductors/guards

Options

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think they would get more respect if they were better known as train managers. I'm surprised you have not referred to them as such, even though your partner may have been promoted after the new name came in.

Disagree.

Managers are sleek types in suits who do nothing useful but get in the way and cream off any profits. Guards watch out when other people are relaxing and keep everyone safe. I know which of those two gets more of my respect.
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm another disabled traveller who would be lost without the guards. I know they do lots of other jobs but just watch them and how they look after the passengers in their charge .

For me it's the guards who get the ramps and help me get onto the train. They ask people to move from the wheelchair space and phone ahead to make sure the station i am arriving at can help me off, if not they are there again. They are a reasssuring presence.

I've watched them help 'wobby walkers' get onto the trains, lift suit cases, guide visually impaired people , reassure anxious passengers. Monitor behaviour in carriages and intervene. Provide free water when the air con didn't work in our carriage last summer as wheelchairs and wobbly walkers can't stand in a different carriage. Perform first aid, lift buggies, hold babies as parents fold prams.

The train company tried to go 'guardless' last year and that would of been the end for myself and many others being able to travel.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The train company tried to go 'guardless' last year and that would of been the end for myself and many others being able to travel.

So having a customer service person on the train instead of the guard and who was no longer responsible for opening or closing the doors would stop you travelling?
    For me it's the guards who get the ramps and help me get onto the train.

At my local station the ramps are taken to the train by someone who works at the station. Not to say the guard isn't also helpful.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    At my local station the ramps are taken to the train by someone who works at the station. Not to say the guard isn't also helpful.

All well and good if there is someone who works at your local station, there are literally hundreds of stations in Britain which are unmanned.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2019 at 12:51PM
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    So having a customer service person on the train instead of the guard and who was no longer responsible for opening or closing the doors would stop you travelling?

Some people still do not understand the real role of the guard. They along with the driver are safety critical trained having to pass rule book /practical tests every 2 years.

This ensures that 2 qualified people are on the train.

The guard will in the event the driver is incapacatated takes over complete responsibility for the safety of the train and passengers.
    This includes putting safety devices direct onto the rails and also placing at 1.25 miles from the train the use of explosive detonators. If driver is OK they each have specific tasks

It is definately not the role of a customer service person.

Trains do run with only the driver as Driver operated only. Usually in built up area's where emergency services are easily available.

The train companes try to do this at the risk of passenger safety to save money.

Most passengers are oblivious of their role and only see tickets getting checked and general helpfulness. One of the main aspects of the role is doors opening/closing as they, not a driver with limited cctv view can monitor passenger behaviour safely. People getting trapped and pulled under is not desired.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    Options
    Passengers are probably oblivious but mainly they can afford to be because the safety bit is simply a bit of union inspired propaganda to seek to keep more staff on the train.
    Of course most lifts used to have an operator but they manage without anyone now, so do a number of railways including, for example, the DLR Why a driver at the front has a more restricted view than a guard elsewhere, perhaps at the back who knows but if it means improved cctv then I'm all for that. There are now quite a few newer trains where the driver assumes responsibility for the doors and the numbers dragged under the train caused by myopic drivers or faulty cctv does not seem large.

Try this report for information https://fullfact.org/economy/are-driver-only-trains-safe/
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    This includes putting safety devices direct onto the rails and also placing at 1.25 miles from the train the use of explosive detonators.
    Train breaks down or driver collapses - guard has to ensure the safety of the train and passengers - that's absolutely right.

If they can't call the signallers to warn following trains - then I guess there might be a drill that means the guard has to run down the line and place warning signs - but explosives?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    - but explosives?
    Yes, explosives.

Read about railway Detonators.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2019 at 6:54PM
    Options
    Whatever people say about whether the 2nd safety qualified person on the train can be replaced by a untrained lower paid customer service person.

I think, I would prefer a guard on my trains, they are better qualified as looking at the rule book they use?

https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GERM8000-trainoperationsstaff%20Iss%202.pdf

Also detonators are a little bit bigger and more dangerous these days to be louder, as trains are faster.

https://www.ukfrs.com/guidance/search/detonators

Also to some posters, who actually believe that train companies "businesses" are correct to cut people to make larger profits. I personally believe that the peoples unions are the only ones that really look after "workers" interests.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/publications/the-safety-critical-role-of-the-guard-2016/
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If there is any issue and a driver has to leave a cab they have to power down/switch off or whatever the technical term is.

Where I live the network is very busy, there are rarely staff on stations, and any delay has a huge impact on other trains.

Having been on a train that broke down (more cost cutting it would appear) the guard was absolutely vital in helping deal with the situation and organising the back up train which came up behind and took us all off.

I'm surprised anyone who lives in the Southern and SouthWestern area would trust the motives of the franchises here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure