'22p a can lager, get drunk for £1. MoneySaving or MoneyWasting?' blog discussion

Replies

• Iom-rfIom-rf Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    The cheap stuff tastes foul, do they actually ever sell any?

The yoofs choose to buy a cheap bottle of cider (ie white lightning) not foul lager!
    :confused: What Happened To Summer!? :confused:
  • codgercodger Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    In answer to Martin's actual question:

Is it money saving? Or money wasting?

Both.

Money saving for the binge drinkers who'll tank up on anything just so long as they can get p1s$ed.

Money wasting for the tax payer who has to meet the cost of ambulance, NHS and police responses to the consequences.
  • For all those who are commenting on the taste of 2% value lagers, remember its horses for courses... the lagers are brewed and offered to the less affluent shoppers - those who enjoy a cold beer in the fridge, but are not looking to get drunk. They are usually bought by older shoppers and pensioners, and interestingly tend to be more popular in the South West and Yorkshire areas... Supermarkets deliberately put them in basic packaging to ensure they have an offer for those not concerned by branding, but to put off the majority of shoppers who are more brand aware to encourage them to buy the more profitable lines - a marketing practice known as 'skimming the market'.

Sure the taste may not appeal to all, but many prefer a lighter taste anyway (Bud drinkers ?) and once its well chilled taste becomes less of a factor.

At the end of the day beer is made from just four ingredients - water, barley, hops and yeast. It ain't that difficult to make, and if your not bothered about image and just want a cold beer in the fridge, and your on a limited income, then I would thank the supermarkets for making this subsidised product available. You can then have a smug drink to the massess paying significantly more for their can in front of the telly
  • CCCeleCCCele Forumite
    218 Posts
    > Subsidising the price of drugs is immoral. The supermarkets wouldn't cut he cost of ciggarettes to such low levels, yet alcohol is a more serious threat to society than tobacco.

You could equally well argue that the subsidising of foods with high fat and sugar content is equally immoral because it means parents will feed their kids with this instead of more healthy food.
  • Iom-rfIom-rf Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    kimevans wrote: »
    Value your liver & your health. Don't drink cider, white lightning, tennents extra strong any of that alchie stuff.

Thats like saying don't drink any spirits either, any alcoholic drink can be drunk in moderation, I like Whisky but I wouldn't like to get !!!!!! on it.
    :confused: What Happened To Summer!? :confused:
  • Isn't it obvious who the 22p lager is aimed at? teenagers sitting in parks, they're just about the only people who would even consider drinking muck like that.

I am not a teenager sitting in a park alas :confused: I retired last year and I like Tescos 2% larger :beer: I enjoy being able to have a drink in the evening but not have the hangover. I think you will find that the teenagers are drinking more Street cread stuff.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • When I go out, I tend to drink cider, however, when I'm at home, especially on a hot summers day, and the object is a cool refreshing drink (the alcohol part being incidental) Tesco Value larger and Aldi lemonade make perfectly serviceable shandy.
  • tahreytahrey Forumite
    135 Posts
    Hmmm, over the years my friends have introduced me to drinking various Ales and better-class lagers, and even wines, which of course are more expensive. But I used to quite enjoy Safeway's, Tesco's and Lidl's own brand 4% brews when I was at Uni (not the value ones, but definitely cheaper than, say, Carling)... this might be worth a go. But only if the 4% isn't both a/ 45p a can or cheaper (what's a penny when you also save on the extra weight of carrying it?), b/ better tasting.

As others have said... good for contributing to party shandies and the like. Or maybe a steak and beer pie.

However it may well be like their value vodkas...... cripes... like drinking turps, nasty flavour even in mixers. The experience not helped by spying that it has an ingredients list... demineralised water (i.e. distilled H2O, good for irons and car batteries/radiators, BAD for people!), alcohol and... what was that last ingredient? I can't remember, but it was either glycerol (?! for what purpose?) or ethylene glycol (ie antifreeze). Yuck. Lower %age too (35 vs 40). Not worth the few quid's saving vs a reasonable Smirnoff or Vladivar.

The media and political attention over this has been amusing as apparently this makes the beer "cheaper than water". Er, someone hasn't done their homework. If Asda's value beer is at 22p for a (presumably 330, 400 or 500ml) can, this doesn't favourably stack up to the bottled water they sell at the same "quality level", ie smartprice - which is 17p for 2 litres. I know because I bought some to dole out when doing group charity work in an Asda store recently :) Or in other words, a mere 2.8p for 330ml (3.4p for 400, 4.3p for 500). Now THAT would be cheap beer!

(or even the lemonade, which is 21p for 2 litres... obviously citric acid, artificial sweetener and carbon dioxide only cost 4p for the requisite amounts, which begs the question how expensive is the water used by some rival brands that boast the same added ingredients on their label?....... you could make this all go a very long, barely kaliber-level of alcoholism way with not much money, for BBQ shandies - 21p on a 2 litre bottle, then 22p x 6 x 330ml lagers, mixed half and half = 4 litres (7 pints or 14 halves) of nasty, chemical, weak - but gluggable with burgers - shandy for £1.53. Or the equivalent price of one pint-bottle of Black Sheep Ale.)
  • RandomRandom Forumite
    234 Posts
    CCCele wrote: »
    > Subsidising the price of drugs is immoral. The supermarkets wouldn't cut he cost of ciggarettes to such low levels, yet alcohol is a more serious threat to society than tobacco.

You could equally well argue that the subsidising of foods with high fat and sugar content is equally immoral because it means parents will feed their kids with this instead of more healthy food.

I think this is immoral. When did you last see the level of offers you get on crisps, biscuits or ready meals on fruit or vegetables? Then they complain about obesity.
  • My main problem with many of the articles in the paper about this 22p lager is that they compared the price to bottled water. Now my first thought was not 'Wow, how cheap is that lager!?' but 'Bloody hell, how do they get away with charging so much for water!?'.

If the Government really wants to get upset about something then the price of bottled water should be their target. Get it from the tap people!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides