13»

Comments

• stuart.kelly
    stuart.kelly Posts: 2 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2020 at 11:22PM
    Options
    This is probably not a scam.
    It is perfectly legitimate for a company to claim tax refunds on your behalf.
    All they have to do is tell you they are going to help you claim for something like work expenses such as washing a uniform. They tell you they can claim for the last 4 years and charge a fee, usually a percentage of the money claimed.

You sign up for this and don't read the small print that says you agree to let them take a cut of ALL unclaimed tax refunds for the past 4 years.

If you overpaid tax at any time during the 4 years you signed up for, the company will take their cut of this, too.

If you are owed a small amount ( less than £25) then you will probably never see any of it because you didn't read the bit that says they charge a percentage of the refund or £25, whichever is the greater.

Because you have entered into a legally binding arrangement with this company, HMRC are obliged to make payments to them on your behalf for the entire period you signed up for.

The arrangement can only be ended if you and the company both agree to end it but you will be depriving them of their cut and they are likely to refuse or to charge you a fee for this.

I'm sorry to say that this is all completely legal and above board. They rely on people who are either unable to understand the small print or just can't be bothered to read it.

Worse than that, you could easily have claimed it yourself with a quick 'phone call to HMRC..

I worked at HMRC and I often had to explain to customers how they had signed away their entitlement and had not received the money they were entitled to. The worst part for me was, that there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

Not a scam exactly but it is a cynical trick perpetrated by parasites on vulnerable unsuspecting people.

ALWAYS READ TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE YOU SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY IF IT CONCERNS YOUR HARD-EARNED BRASS.
  • rseales
    Options
    I was sent a letter saying a payment for £110.60 was sent to online tax rebates ltd they then sent me a cheque for £37.44 which then bounced total SCAM and con artists do not use
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am afraid to say that some of these businesses are owned and run by qualified accountants and tax advisers.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rseales said:
    I was sent a letter saying a payment for £110.60 was sent to online tax rebates ltd they then sent me a cheque for £37.44 which then bounced total SCAM and con artists do not use
    Then send them a letter before action to their registered address and if they don't pay, take them to court. There is no defence they can rely on for a bounced cheque. 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback