Mortgage Free

Everyone,

I paid of my 125k mortgage 4 years ago aged 44, it was my main priority, I'm the main breadwinner in family of 4, housewife don't work.

I work in IT which is a fickle industry, over 40 means you're over the hill, so i was very target driven plus i wanted to get to a stage where i have the upper hand in employment, if an employer is messing around with me i can easy stick 2 fingers up them and leave.

You can also do it, just be focused and don't waste cash on endless holidays/meals etc.

Good Luck

Replies

• MkaaMkaa Forumite
    10 Posts
    On quite low income been able to save a decent deposit, just hope can do same if not better paying off mortgage
  • LeighofMarLeighofMar Forumite
    459 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Congrats. Thats a great accomplishment. We are doing it for the same reasons. We are self employed so pretty confident we can always work but right after moving in, I was diagnosed with a chronic illness. Even though I'm 15 years younger than my DH, we both agree we want the house paid off in case of complications in the future or if something happens to him, the roof over my head is secured. Lifes just too unpredictable so we are doing it bit by bit. Enjoy your mortgage freedom.
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance end of July 2021 - $28,550.00
    Hope to be mortgage-free by 2023 
  • inigmainigma Forumite
    147 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hey, congratulations, we are trying our hardest to remove this albatross from around our necks too. We just passed the halfway point with today's OP and have a little under £71k left, feels strange to see the balance so low. Make sure you post on the mortgage free roll of honour.
    Original mortgage free date 01/09/2036
    Current mortgage free date 01/09/2023
    Dream mortgage free date 01/09/2021
    JUST BRING IT
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    78.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great result :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum