Annual Pension costs

What is an average annual cost?
My oh has received a statement for taking his pension in drawdown. The annual charges with the IFA feed are 2.6% pa. Like everyone we need to get the most from his pension and the more I read the more confusing I find it all.
Thank you.

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My two pensions have six digits valuations and the total platform and fund costs are under 0.30% pa each.

You can open a stakeholder pension or SIPP with an initial circa £25 contribution and the total platform and fund costs will be around 0.55% pa.

Still you are paying advisor fees ontop so that is likely to increase the cost by at least 0.5% depending on the size of your pot. Some platforms also charge a bit extra for supporting drawdown.

2.6% sounds very expensive and is likely to damage the long term investment return.

Alex
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,043
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What is an average annual cost?

Simple, low value no ongoing arranged via IFA 0.3x% (can be lower depending on fund value.
    Ongoing servicing with model portfolio around 1.2% (generally you find lower risk has lower charges and higher risk has higher charges. So 1.0% to 1.6% range is typical).
    The annual charges with the IFA feed are 2.6% pa

That's too high. You really shouldn't get getting above 2%. That is double the figures you generally find the IFAs that contribute to this site would have.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • 2.6% is around half of the income you can expect to withdraw from you pension each year. Even a fee of 1% is a quarter of your annual income. So you do the maths.........
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    2.6% sounds very high. However it does rather depend on the size of the pension pot. 2.6% of £10K is probably cheap. 2.6% of £500K is ridiculous. Another factor is that some providers charge for taking drawdown - typically £100/year.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Subject to provisos on it being a small pot, that's an outrageous amount. Move it.
  • Thank you all so much. I don't think I know enough to open and manage a sipp. The fund is in low risk funds now.I don't want to make any costly mistakes. Any advice or information would be appreciated.Thank you
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    daisyrose wrote: »
    Thank you all so much. I don't think I know enough to open and manage a sipp. The fund is in low risk funds now.I don't want to make any costly mistakes. Any advice or information would be appreciated.Thank you

What is the size of the pension pot? An IFA may not be interested in taking on a small pot or may charge a very high fee to encourage you to look elsewhere.

The best and cheapest advice is likely come from a small high street IFA. If you cannot get recommendations from family and friends get your OH to talk to say 3 local ones. Choose one with reasonable fees and who your OH feels he can work with.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,043
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you all so much. I don't think I know enough to open and manage a sipp. The fund is in low risk funds now.I don't want to make any costly mistakes. Any advice or information would be appreciated.Thank you

If you dont want to move to DIY but have an adviser then change adviser to one that is cheaper.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

I'm not sure what you mean by "low risk funds", but when I made my estimate that 2.6% in fees would be half of your expected drawdown I was assuming the funds had a high equity component ie they had some risk......if you are in low risk funds a 2.6% fee might be taking all the income you can generate.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,061
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    2.6%? Low risk funds? Ouch!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts