Getting Pensions Advice as Expat

Options
I am now living and working in Spain and plan to retire here, in a few years time. My pensions are in the UK and my UK IFA tells me he is no longer able to advise me. Spanish Advisors that I have approached are all advising me to transfer to a (Q)ROPs, but I am not convinced. If I leave my pensions in the UK, do I have to find a Spanish Advisor who is FCA qualified/listed?

Comments

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    UK advisers can advise you on your UK assets even if you leave the country. It's just harder and may require you to occasionally visit the UK.

A QROPS is rarely the right product because they are more expensive and less regulated than UK pensions. They're also widely used by unscrupulous salesmen eager to take huge commissions, so be very careful before signing anything.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • simple_expat
    Options
    I would be wary of using the 'Expat Advisors' in Spain, you'll find plenty of horror stories on the web. If you don't need advice, just some general guidance, there are some SIPPs that you can set up as an expat and look after your own pension.

"QROPS is rarely the right product" - I would agree with this as well. Usually completely unnecessary and incredibly expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure