Joint debt

Options
My wife and I acceued debt of £18,000 whilst married. We are now divorced. Conveniently the debt is all in my name. How can I make her take responsibility for her share of this debt?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    My wife and I acceued debt of £18,000 whilst married. We are now divorced. Conveniently the debt is all in my name. How can I make her take responsibility for her share of this debt?

You can't if it wasn't In both names.
  • engineer_amy
    Options
    The way I see it, but others may disagree...

Surely this should have been included in any financial settlement discussions prior to the divorce being finalised? (if of course it could be determined that both of you benefited from the money being spent)

The debt is in your name so you are legally liable and you are the one that the lenders will chase through what ever channels available.

Given that the divorce is finalised, the only way would be to appeal to her better nature and ask her to make a lump sum payment to you for what ever proportion you agree on, or arrange a monthly payment plan. but this would be a private arrangement and if she didn't pay, you could take her to the small claims court, but would have to prove that the debt was accrued jointly, and also that there was an agreement on her part to contribute.
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    If you're on good terms, you can approach her and request that she comes to an agreement with the company to pay it back - but if she reneges on any agreement like this unfortunately there is little you can do and the company concerned will come after you - as in their eyes this is your debt, not hers. I know - feels pretty darned unfair doesn't it. Agree that in an ideal world it should have been included in a financial agreement if there was one - but particularly if there aren't kids involved now a lot of folk don't go that route on divorce.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business