Possible problem with 2011-14 student maintenance loan

Options
Hello,
Really not sure if this is right place to post this but having seen Martin’s show recently about student finance i decided to look at mine more in depth and realised a potential odd problem.

I started uni in Nottingham in 2011 pre the fees changing, my parents (as i was living at home) but moving away, didn’t earn more than the threshold meaning i was entitled to the maintenance loan and grant (full amounts)

So forgetting about the obvious tuition fees i would have to pay back of no more than £10,000 in total, my statements from Student Finance England state that i currently owe £21,000, i really don’t understand how this can be, seen as though i was being paid £6,372 a year for maintenance in loans and grants to cover my accommodation (which it more than did!) accommodation came to around £4000.

I could understand if i had to pay back the maintenance loan but the grant more than outweighed this? Does that make sense?

This was all paid to me......2013-14 as an example
September - Grant - £1027
September - M. Loan - £1086.35
January - Grant - £1027
January - M. Loan - £1086.36
April - Grant - £1026
April - M. Loan - £1119.28

Can someone explain this to me, it probably is totally fine and normal but doesn’t sit right?!

Comments

• DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are you confused about? You got paid both the maintenance loan and the grant didn't you?

You do have to pay back the maintenance loan. You could have used the grant to pay it back but presumably you spent that on other things?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have old statements to compare with?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They apply interest too so if your not paying it off it will go up.

If you log into the web portal you should find your annual statements with all the information on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure