UK Passport Holders Only

I posted two different holiday competitions today both run by the Global network one by Heart Radio another by Smooth Radio. Both have as part of their terms and conditions that entrants have to be UK passport holders so I'm unable to enter. When did this become the norm ? I am a UK resident and have been from many years.
Winners must be 18 or over and hold a full UK passport as must the other guest they are including in the prize.
Entrants must be aged 18 or over & hold a valid UK passport with at least 6 months’ before the expiry date.
Lonely Planet used to say UK passport holders only but to their credit have changed this after I contacted them.

Comments

• sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's possibly just badly worded?
    It's a holiday so you'll need a passport and it's a UK Competition so you'll need to be resident in the UK ... perhaps they just mean you must be a resident of the UK (standard terms) and hold a passport as opposed to holding a physical UK issued passport?

Dunno, never really thought about it ... ping them an email or something and ask them if they can clarify.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They changed the wording to make it "UK" rather than just a "valid Passport".

I don't enter holiday ones but assumed it always meant a UK passport as it is very likely that the documents required for travel on a foreign passport will be different to the ones for a UK one.
  • okane_ga_nai
    okane_ga_nai Posts: 8,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    They changed the wording to make it "UK" rather than just a "valid Passport".

I don't enter holiday ones but assumed it always meant a UK passport as it is very likely that the documents required for travel on a foreign passport will be different to the ones for a UK one.
    Well I have an Irish passport and so will lots of people in this country soon with the recent increase in Irish passport applications. As it's validity at the moment is similar to the UK I don't currently need any different documents to a UK passport to travel.
    It's possibly just badly worded?
    Possibly, I think I need to contact them to clarify. Don't want to find out after being lucky enough to win that I can't take the holiday.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    One of the competitions is for a break in the Isle of Man and you don't need a passport to get there from the UK, certainly if you travel by ferry, so requiring any sort of valid passport seems unnecessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure