No £1.50 fare

Went from Rectory Road to Turkey Street on London Overground and was half expecting a £1.50 fare. Was actually charged £2.40.

Anyone know why?

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Rail is £2.60 on TfL fare finder (off peak)

Bus is £1.50
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    But if I were to take a tube from Holloway Road to Cockfosters it’s £1.50. As is all off peak travel not in Z1 via TFL so why not TFL Rail?
  • NeilCr
    As a guess, perhaps it costs more to run and maintain an overground service. Those costs will be passed on to the passenger

Ask London Overground or TfL the question.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    What time did you touch in at Rectory Road?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's not a TFL Rail service, it's London Overground.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • NeilCr
    macman wrote: »
    It's not a TFL Rail service, it's London Overground.

London Overground is managed by TfL and operated, on their behalf, by Arriva

http://www.arrivaraillondon.co.uk/about-us/london-overground
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 January 2019 at 3:59AM
    Yes I'm aware of that, but TFL Rail is not the same as TFL. It's the temporary branding used for the future (now increasingly distant future) Crossrail service., operated by MTR Corppration. TFL Rail is not part of the Overground.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £2.40 is the off peak fare for 1 or 2 zones. It’s the cheapest fare on the LO.
  • NeilCr
    edited 27 January 2019 at 1:53PM
    macman wrote: »
    Yes I'm aware of that, but TFL Rail is not the same as TFL. It's the temporary branding used for the future (now increasingly distant future) Crossrail service., operated by MTR Corppration. TFL Rail is not part of the Overground.

Yes I am aware of that too. Sorry, I wasn't challenging your post - just confirming that TfL manage LO.

My point still stands. If OP wants to question an apparent discrepancy in fares on two parts of the network that TfL are responsible for then they are probably the right people to ask.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Thanks all... was just a little mystified as I sometimes take the parallel line (Tottenham Hale) which is quite obviously Abellio and not TFL.

When looking at the route maps there appears to be a distinction between the 2 branches as London Overgound is branded as TFL and shows the Seven Sisters to Chestunt branch whereas Abellio is shown as National Rail and again is shown on a separate map.

It doesn’t really matter and I’m not going to be living on bread and water for a week over 90p but I would have thought if TFL is running the line then it should be to there rules.

Am wondering if TFL and Abellio haven’t come to a ‘pricing agreement’ to prevent people choosing 1 line over the other as a weekly commuter would save £9/week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure