How do you prove the owner of car

Options
2»

Comments

• maxmycardagain
    Options
    Or... your parents go to a solicitor/commissioner of oaths and swear they bought the car, then draw up a "vehicle only loaned" statement from your parents saying they agree for you to have the use of their car.

JD

Job Done
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    Yes, it’s precisely fraud.

Come on, it’s not complicated. The right way to do this is to have them write a letter now, correctly dated, explaining the situation truthfully.

Pretending that you have a letter written at the time is absolutely clearly fraud; it is lying to gain an advantage.

Can the IS/OR carbon date a letter?.... :rotfl:
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    Dory2k wrote: »
    John G Jones
    Thanks for your reply.. just to clarify I would not do that.. I will be getting my parents to write the letter from the day I declare bankruptcy not when the car was bought
    Glad to hear it. Please don’t take the advice of people on here who seem to want nothing more than to risk criminal convictions for others.

Why forums like this allow such unpleasant trolling is a mystery.

Best of luck with it all.
  • katyp
    katyp Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    We were in a similar position to you. The IP did not ask to see any documentation, just took our word for it.
  • Dory2k
    Dory2k Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments I am so scared to actually press that button...
    Katyp .. really so you just said that someone had paid for it but you are registered and they didn't ask anything about it..been so panicked about the thought of parents losing their car.. did you seek advice about it anywhere? My mam wants a definite answer from someone like a solicitor to put her mind at rest so I will be telling her about your comments thanks
    cannot wait until this hell is over with :o:o
  • katyp
    katyp Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    When we were first interviewed by someone from the OR's office, she asked about cars and we said we had one worth under £1000 and were borrowing one from my FIL. She didn't even ask the value and it has never been mentioned again. When we did our SOA, we included costs for both cars, and and this was not questioned.
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    No one can guarantee what the OR wants to talk about, I was questioned (jan) over the family car as registered in my name, I was asked to email a receipt in husbands name which I did & that was that, easy with a main dealer receipt.

Your parents don't need to write statements on use they just need to prove they OWN it. A receipt is obvious.
  • panic_stations
    Options
    I had this and we couldn't find the original receipt. In the end my dad found he had a record of his payment for it in one of his old account books, which I showed the OR along with a letter he had written stating that he had paid for it, but as he had disposed of bank statements etc etc this was the best evidence he could provide. My OR was happy to accept that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure