Giving head a wobble!!

Need to spend part of tonight looking at my finances. I've seriously and ridiculously starter slacking on the saving front!!

I have been far to generous with money of late! As much as I've loved treating friends and family, i need to rein it in before I end up with no savings...and worst of all back in debt!!

So disappointed with myself for only having £2000 now in emergency fund! I know it's a lot more than I had this time last year (when I was still in debt), but I was determined to have £4000 minimum at the start of Jan.

Time to re-focus and get some overtime in-another thing that has slipped lately.

Don't get me wrong, some of the money I've spent has been needed (car/household stuff etc) but in line with that; a chunk of un needed spending. Taking friends out for lunch and paying etc to cheer them up, splashing out on days out etc. Don't get me wrong, I've loved these days, but could of spent a lot less if I'd planned ahead.

I've got a lot of busy days ahead which will cost, so tonight I need to sit down; plan the days and cost and make a budget plan.

Someone once suggested on here to make a snowball plan for savings, which I'm going to do. Will start with the cheapest day and put the aside etc. I don't want to touch the £2000 of i can avoid it, as it is a nice comfort blanket, just gutted I didn't keep adding to it.

Will check in tonight with my plan!

Comments

• Ok, I've sat down and got a plan together for the rest of Jan and Feb.

Jan:
    *£20 for petrol next week (already put this away, so don't need to take out of my main account)
    *£20 for a meal next week, got £5 in that envelope and will add another £15 to it next week. (Will take this out of the money I have left for the month)
    *car insurance due at the end of the month, but before pay day-£120.

Total costs:£135 (petrol already put aside) Leaving me with £135 for the rest of the month.

Emergency Fund will remain at £2000-determined not to touch this!

Feb:
    *Aim to put £650 to emergency fund, making it £2650.
    * I have another meal in Feb (cutting back on these after this meal) £30.
    * petrol-£30

I aim to pick up extra shifts in Feb and get back into earning some extra cash.

Feb is all the things aside from my main bills etc.
  • Getting back into the saving mindset.

I've topped my Emergency Fund upto £2800. I will be adding more to this at the end of the month-hopefully another £500.

I've bagged another 12hours overtime over the next couple of weeks (possibly be able get more)

Car is topped up for the month on petrol and I won't be topping it up again this month, so need to be more wise about using the car when not needed.

I've bought birthday gifts for Feb and March and going to try and keep getting ahead by at least a month, then I know they are sorted.

I've got a weekend away in April and I've paid for that upfront, so I know that's paid. Just need the bits we'll be taking with us so will just bits n bobs along the way.

I've stated my £2 savings again and got £62 in there, which I will not touch until Dec 2019.

I have made lists of things needing paying at the end of Jan and Feb and been ticking them off along the way, this has helped me is allocate my money better and not just waste it.

Had two NSD this week.

Cutting back on the alcohol at the weekends too, as just a waste of money and just end up wasting a day due to a hangover!

Love Feb as shorter month so pay day closer, than usual. I will be looking at my money pots etc for Feb this week sometime.

I'm back and ready to focus!!!

Happy hump day peeps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family