How to find work when long term unemployed?

Options

Comments

• JonVarnas
    JonVarnas Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Enigma16 wrote: »
    I've signed up with 4 agencies in my town. They are the 4 agencies which are aimed more at minimum wage jobs and probably give me a better chance to find something. A couple of those agencies are Jark Recruitment, Quattro Recruitment and Adecco.

The problem I have is due to long term unemployment, suffering from mental health and taking care of my dad, It's difficult to explain away my absence from work, and for the agents to understand fully without being a little negatively judgmental. At the end of the day, agency workers are there to get people into work, so once I say I don't have experience in warehousing like picking or packing (can't get it without working as a warehouse worker) and also call centre.

I used to work in a supermarket when I was younger, but no chance of getting reference/s because the guy I used to work for is no longer there. My work history is a bit inconsistent and my last job was working as a general building assistant/labourer with a family member.

It's kind of frustrating because I'd be happy to work for free for a day if it meant the chance to work for a company on a more permanent basis, but not sure many, if any employers would be willing to give that chance. I am going to have to seriously consider volunteering if nothing comes about soon. The only thing I don't like about volunteering is starting work there and then finding a job, then having to quit. I don't like committing to a place and then needing to take off when I find paid work. I know it's inevitable, but still doesn't feel comfortable.
    Don't worry, it ain't that bad. . You just need to be a bit more "creative" with your employment history and set your sights low to begin with (but not low enough to be working for free - that's for suckers.).

I was unemployed a lot longer than two years and didn't find it difficult to get a job. With agencies you can just blag it as they don't really check into your history or references. I started off on agency and within a couple of months I was taken on full-time. Just need to have confidence in yourself and be prepared to !!!!!!!! a little.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Volunteering may not sound like the most exciting thing but it will be good for your mental health/self esteem. It will be much better for future employers to show you have done something useful with your period of unemployment.

Good luck with finding something.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I am going to have to seriously consider volunteering if nothing comes about soon. The only thing I don't like about volunteering is starting work there and then finding a job, then having to quit. I don't like committing to a place and then needing to take off when I find paid work. I know it's inevitable, but still doesn't feel comfortable.

Well then you think of it as fixed term/temporary. Same as a lot of work contracts can be.

My job centre's 'star' job at the moment is working for a very well known debt advice charity, it's a paid full-time position at 24k BUT actually fixed term and must have extensive knowledge of Universal Credit. Any jobseeker who signs on under UC gets a massive advantage if they played their application right. What a fantastic opportunity for someone who has experienced the system.

My friend started/tried a temporary packing job - after day 1 was asked not to return in broken English so there could be good reason you can't get into this type of work right now and I wouldn't get disheartened.
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    I don't drive, no. I am seriously considering ringing around more pubs/restaurants and seeing if they have kitchen work such as a washer up for e.g, something just a few hours a week if needs be. I just need money at the moment tbh.

I have tried applying to chain restaurants/pubs like Wetherspoons, Harvester etc for kitchen porter roles, but haven't gotten a reply so thinking outside the box. I was considering Indian, Chinese etc restaurants, but they usually have their own people working those kitchen jobs.
    You are stumbling at the first hurdle; ringing around is not as good as visiting, with a nice handwritten cover letter and a neatly typed CV. Get them written and typed tomorrow, get up early so you can visit when they open, and go round town again asking to see the manager or asking if whoever is in would pass it on to the manager.

As to not being able to drive, that one is simple to fix, learn to drive.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I've signed up with 4 agencies in my town. They are the 4 agencies which are aimed more at minimum wage jobs and probably give me a better chance to find something. A couple of those agencies are Jark Recruitment, Quattro Recruitment and Adecco.

The problem I have is due to long term unemployment, suffering from mental health and taking care of my dad, It's difficult to explain away my absence from work, and for the agents to understand fully without being a little negatively judgmental. At the end of the day, agency workers are there to get people into work, so once I say I don't have experience in warehousing like picking or packing (can't get it without working as a warehouse worker) and also call centre.

I used to work in a supermarket when I was younger, but no chance of getting reference/s because the guy I used to work for is no longer there. My work history is a bit inconsistent and my last job was working as a general building assistant/labourer with a family member.

It's kind of frustrating because I'd be happy to work for free for a day if it meant the chance to work for a company on a more permanent basis, but not sure many, if any employers would be willing to give that chance. I am going to have to seriously consider volunteering if nothing comes about soon. The only thing I don't like about volunteering is starting work there and then finding a job, then having to quit. I don't like committing to a place and then needing to take off when I find paid work. I know it's inevitable, but still doesn't feel comfortable.

When you worked in the supermarket did you work on shelf stacking? As you could say that you’ve had experience doing that and feel confident in giving picking and packing a good try. The other thing is sign up to places like cv library, put your cv live if you can (I did a few years back and had several calls from doing so). The other one is get an all day bus ticket one day and go round to places with your cv/ look in windows and see if there’s any posters advertising roles as there often on the windows then you could hand a cv in or take a few pens and fill in the application while your there.

Often the early bird catches the worm and sometimes you have to think outside the box. What transferable skills have you got from past jobs that you can offer to present jobs?
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You say you applied to a handful of agencies but did you chase them up? Also what were you applying for, anything at all even single days or were you trying to get longer term placements? If it is the latter you need to open yourself up to doing the shorter term ones to get your foot in the door then once you prove yourself you get the longer ones. Also if you're willing to do factory production line and warehouse you'll find more work than office. You have to keep ringing them every day to see if there's any work until they're so sick of you they give you some. Signing up to an agency then sitting there waiting for the phone to ring for your first job often gets nowhere.
  • nomorekids
    Options
    You have had loads of excellent advice here already, but reading through the posts, I've picked up on you have not been working due to caring for your Dad. This is very reasonable explanation for gaps in your working history. Have you thought of taking this further and being carer? You obviously have skills to do this because of caring for your dad. Just a thought.

My other thoughts are to approach retirement places for volunteer work, again because of caring for your dad. There is a lad where my parents live that did this and he is now odd job/ handyman permanently and employed in reception sometimes as well. Again just a thought to add.

The number of jobs that go, word of mouth, you need to get out there and be present in person is my advice and never ever put obstacles to potential employer to cure, no "how will I get here?" or "I have no xyz skills" just thank you very much, I'll look into the buses and brush up my xyz skills for starting Monday.

When you get a chance or interview anywhere, research like crazy the job, the company, around the job every detail you can to appear like you know it already, or at least if you don't, you are willing to put in the time to learn. It puts you above everyone else who doesn't .

good luck.
    If you want to be rich, never, ever have kids ;)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’d agree that some voluntary work would tick several boxes for you. Also it counts directly towards your 35 hours a week so will reduce the stress on you to account for your time.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Factory work, experience isn't necessary, most companies are just happy that you are willing and able and get there on time every day, and to work for the time you are there, esp line workers ( its boring repetitive work and you can be stood in one spot all day )

I moved to another country and soon found work - during the recession , not doing what I did before, but by asking everyone I became friendly with, if they heard of anything, to put a word in for me. I got a start behind a bar, helping for a party, one shift was all I was promised, I was there 7 years doing everything from cleaning, bar work, waitressing, and finally cook

I personally wouldn't be trying the chains, they have strict interview processes, try an independent. Even if you get asked to come in and wash dishes for a one off event and get paid cash in hand, its a foot in the door. As long as you work hard and are polite and make an effort to be friendly and as helpful as you can be, you will be remembered for the next time they need someone

Go around again with your CV or letter of introduction, Look smart, be polite, and say that whilst you are looking for full time employment you are happy to give a day here and there if thats all they require, so many kitchens have people going sick short notice

I know you say you have gaps because of MH and care duties. Has your MH improved enough that you feel confident that you can work now without it being a problem with you needing further long time sick? If so, whilst I wouldn't lie, I would just put the gaps down as caring. I too have MH problems and Im very much in control now but I tell employers I can only work part time because I care for my mother. Its not a lie, I do, but I also know that sometimes I do get flaky and need more me time. So I give them what I can, and cut back when Im not so good ( I m one of the ones for which ZHC work )

There are jobs out there, lots of small businesses want casual floating staff, a day here and a day there. Its not your ideal scenario but its a foot in a door, its experience, its a reference, its worth giving it a shot
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    At the end of the day, agency workers are there to get people into work, so once I say I don't have experience in warehousing like picking or packing (can't get it without working as a warehouse worker.

You don't need experience to get work in a warehouse as a picker/packer. You need to be reliable, have the ability to count and walk and have a modicum of common sense. My husband works in a warehouse, dealing with the agencies. He'll give anyone a chance if they meet the above criteria.

Have you chased the agencies for work? I also agree with a previous poster that being a carer for your Dad is a good reason for the gap. It's really about how you sell yourself now
    "I've been a carer for a close relative for a number of years. Although that meant I was not in paid employment, I have a number of excellent transferrable skills and am keen to get back into the workplace"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback