Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

Cottage Countdown - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cottage Countdown

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
283 replies 15.3K views

Replies

• jaydeejayjaydeejay Forumite
    41 posts
    We are extremely fortunate in the uk that health care is free so one less thing to have to worry about affording. Having that large debt/mortgage after retirement is still a universal problem if people haven't thought ahead to later life, or even at any time in life as sh#t happens which can mean if you live month to month that can mean losing your home etc

You are sounding very determined with getting rid of your mortgage. Good luck with your new venture, I will be following with interest.
    JDJ
  • LeighofMarLeighofMar Forumite
    411 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    You are so right Jay. I get so jealous of the healthcare in the UK. I know there is no perfect system. But boy, we sure could use some help with our healthcare system here in the US.
    Thanks for stopping by. I am very determined. My husband jokes with me about what am I going to do when I pay off the mortgage since we have no other debt? What will I focus on then? I laughed it off before but now...:think:
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance end of December 2020 - $33,300.00
    Hope to be mortgage-free by 2023 
  • jaydeejayjaydeejay Forumite
    41 posts
    perhaps its FI start investing in pensions and outside of them. Have you read MrMoneymustache and JLCollins etc etc its gaining steam as a way of gaining freedom of choice about how you want to spend your life and the possibilities this then opens up.
    JDJ x
    411 posts
    ✭✭
    Yes definitely. I have read MMM and find him hilarious but with really good information. Our business is set up where it saves for our retirement which is nice and I'm hopeful that our new venture will plug in any gaps.
    But on a personal level, I think after the mortgage is paid, I want to have a big bbq with string lights, picnic tables and music in the backyard and then burn the mortgage like they used to surrounded by friends and good food. Then I think I will focus on our travels and house projects that may need doing at that time. Who knows? I may finally give my husband an allowance so he doesnt have to constantly ask me if he can spend money :D
    411 posts
    ✭✭
    Ugh. I just saw an ad for my husband's dream car, a 1968 Chevy Camaro for 12,000.00. I could buy it for him but it would take all our savings. Its always of course when we're not in a position to do so that the great deals pop up. He deserves it so much and I would love to surprise him. But I guess I have to be realistic. Not only would it empty our savings but we dont have a garage and we already have two vehicles and a travel trailer. We just dont need three cars. :(
    Maybe someday after paying off the house...
    411 posts
    ✭✭
    Mortgage OP made today for 47.44 bringing the balance to $45,900.00. We are on payment 158 date of 1/2029, yippee!!! 9.5 years ahead of where we should be.

In the case any gardeners read this diary, any tips for keeping cats out? It's super annoying to find they're using my flowerbeds as their personal bathroom.:mad: I read you can mix a concoction together of apple cider vinegar and white vinegar plus something else, I think. We're going to try that as otherwise, it's war.
    Groceries all ordered for next week. Came in a few dollars under budget at 94.00, but I'm sure hubby will get some more fresh fruit as snacks and it will go up a bit. But that's okay. I'm fine with having a lot of fruit in the house. Next week's meal plan will include orange chicken, paleo burger bowls, and I still haven't made my bbq ribs. I did make the taco casserole and the zucchini pasta with avocado sauce, and they were divine.
    I cashed out my transcription earnings for the month, $155.00 that will be used for small house projects/materials or some more flowers. And we received a refund from the business insurance co of $153.00 so that will go straight into the new venture fund. That is already amping up. OH and I have been to the project and did some preliminary design, and we are happy with what we came up with. Now it's about getting quotes from contractors like the carpenter, plumber, etc. We will do the electrical, paint, general labor work and our partner will do the roof and flooring and bathroom tile work. Very exciting. Especially after today where with our regular client, we did some specialized billing which is super complicated and tiresome. We will be so glad to leave that behind when the time comes.
    Guess I should get back to transcribing while there's work available. Have a great day!
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on all the overpayments and transcription earnings. A dog would help keep a cat out but is no better for your garden ;)
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £13948 @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter
    411 posts
    ✭✭
    Yes savingholmes so true:rotfl:
    I think it'll have to be a combo of the fence, thorny bushes and the spray we will put together. Love dogs but am done cleaning up after anybody or anything.
    411 posts
    ✭✭
    Another Thursday, another OP. 318.60 today brings the balance to 45,581.40, payment 160/360, payment date 03/2029. So happy to take off two months of the mortgage with one OP.
    Payday today so lots of transfers and budgeting for the next two weeks. The e-fund received 16.00, house fund 100.00 and regular savings 100.00. Paid 290.00 on my cc, but recently did some shopping. Not too bad. We have a convention coming up so I wanted to make sure OH had a couple of nice new shirts and I got a dress and a skirt set. If he wants a new suit, I'll have to charge that too, but that's okay. $500.00 is left on my cc and 370.00 of that is the car insurance for six months, the rest is the new clothing purchased. Shouldn't be anymore frivolous spending until the end of September for our vacation. By then, everything should be paid off.
    My garden now smells like lavender. Apple cider vinegar concoction didn't work to keep out the cats and attracted flies to boot. Gross. I kept reading lavender keeps everything away: flies, cats, dogs, mosquitoes, so I sent OH to get some. Now my garden smells heavenly and so far, no cats or flies. I can live with that.
    Our son came for a visit on Friday and we had a blast playing games and having dessert and drinks. It was so nice to see him. He doesn't live far but has a different schedule since he's a server and bartender and we're in bed usually by 8:00 pm :grin: But it was a nice time and hopefully, we'll get together again soon, play some mini-golf or something.
    Well, I slept atrociously last night, so back to bed to try to recoup my sanity.
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you got to spend time with DS. Mine is abroad but comes home in a few weeks - I can't wait.
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £13948 @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter