Fixed speed cameras on M1?

motorguy
motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Just had info from a friend that fixed speed cameras are now in operation on the M1?

Anyone heard of any truth in it?

Comments

• damianmcr
    damianmcr Posts: 157 Forumite
    Its in England. I seen this rumour do the rounds.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The rest of the rumour that is doing the rounds (and the wording is virtually identical to the one last year) is

It is also the cameras on the M25. The cameras are set to 72MPH and the system will autogenerate tickets for all vehicles exceeding this speed.

Did it say where on the M1? As this motorway is nearly 200 miles long and goes through a number of police forces areas.
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Operational? No idea but cameras are fitted and working. I did read that in certain circumstances you might get a letter from Plod.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    Just had info from a friend that fixed speed cameras are now in operation on the M1?

Could be the southern M1? There are fixed cameras at Charleville, close to dunleer. The road next to the one on the south bound side is marked with a sort of grid.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes the one i heard today was that 73MPH to 90MPH was an automatic fine and points and over 90MPH was an instant ban. Also the cameras were hidden and nobody knew exactly where they were.

Seemed odd as neither of those are thresholds for speeding - its normally something like 80MPH and then over 100MPH for a ban.

Also, if they had them up it would be all over the news as speed cams are supposed to be deterrents and they're not much of a deterrent if nobody knows about them and they're hidden.

So, yes, wholly skeptical but thought i'd pose it on here and see if anyone else had heard anything.

Not that i speed ever so not at all a worry anyway. :tongue:
  • motorguy wrote: »

Are you taking about the M1 in Southern Ireland or Norn Ireland?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Could well be one of the new type of cameras that look like 4 speakers on a pole .
    Camera as in speed and photo evidence using a mobile phone etc .
    Add in the new MAP camera on mways .
    Speed limit the law says above the limit not plus this that or the other .many Chief Constables are actively lowering the margin they allow in their area.

M1 around East Midlands airport you will see the new cameras .
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    Yes the one i heard today was that 73MPH to 90MPH was an automatic fine and points and over 90MPH was an instant ban. Also the cameras were hidden and nobody knew exactly where they were.

Seemed odd as neither of those are thresholds for speeding - its normally something like 80MPH and then over 100MPH for a ban.

Also, if they had them up it would be all over the news as speed cams are supposed to be deterrents and they're not much of a deterrent if nobody knows about them and they're hidden.

So, yes, wholly skeptical but thought i'd pose it on here and see if anyone else had heard anything.

Not that i speed ever so not at all a worry anyway. :tongue:

1. Speeding = speeding = breaking the law.
    2. Are the authorities obliged to disclose the presence/location of speed cameras?
    3. As you don't speed, you have no worries in either case.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Q2 yes. Because they are obliged to produce collision, casualty, speed and offence information for every fixed site speed camera and have been since 2011

Therefore by definition every fixed site will be known. Normally the relevant speed camera partnership will have the location of every camera site on their website.
  • There have been speed cameras on the m1 north and south between Notts and London for ages. All the smart motorway sections have them. They’re often slightly hidden by the variable speed limit light signs that stretch across the road. I’d swear they move them from one sign to a different one every now and then too but that could also be my imagination �� likewise the m25 also has multiple speed cameras fixed to some of the variable speed limit light up signs. I usallh see traffic officers parked up behind walls on there, presumably with portable cameras.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure