urgent help CCJ - Lowell solicitors on behalf of very

my wife has just received a letter which has an issue date of 4th December. were not sure what to do? she's trying to ring the number on the form now.

how do we proceed? it mentioned 14 days but the letter has just arrived.

also how do we tackle this? we don't have the money to pay the money the claim form says

please help

Replies

• Call Lowell. They are not as scary as they sound. I had this with a catalogue and with a promise to pay they agreed to not process the CCJ. I promise you that you will feel better once speaking to them. I certainly did when I finally bit the bullet six months ago.
  • this a claim form from the county court not from lowells
  • My paperwork came from the County Court also, I was so scared, but that was what kicked me into sorting out all of my debt for once and for all. Call Lowell, let them know when you can pay/set up a payment plan. I managed to pay mine off in full within 28 days which avoided the CCJ being processed further.
  • Just_DiJust_Di Forumite
    385 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    my wife has just received a letter which has an issue date of 4th December. were not sure what to do? she's trying to ring the number on the form now.

also how do we tackle this? we don't have the money to pay the money the claim form says

If this is a Claim Form from NCCBC then your wife has 19 days from the claim Issue Date to go online and file her Acknowledgment of Service which extends the time for filing her Defence to 33 days from the claim Issue Date.

From what you say she may have missed the deadline for the AOS but tell her to go online asap using the password on the claim form to see if it will let her file it.

She needs to go to the Acknowledgement of Service page and tick the box which says she "intends to defend all of the claim".

If the system won't let her do that it's possible that the Claimant (Lowell) has already sought a Default Judgment (CCJ) online so MCOL/NCCBC have put a bar on the account.

The Christmas post plays havoc with the service of court claims which is, of course, why the bulk issuers chose this time of year.

Was the claim served on her current address or was it sent to another address which is why it took so long to reach her?

Di
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

please help

Good advice from Di above.

Even if default judgement has been granted, you still have options, if you don`t deny the debt is yours, you can still agree affordable monthly payments either with Lowell, or apply to the court to vary the judgement.

If you dispute the debt for any reason, there may be the option of a set aside, although there will be a cost involved, it does depend how much the judgment is for and the chances of the set aside been successful.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals