• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a good day. Happy New Year. 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi raincoat, glad you're doing well!

I love snuggling up to a hot water bottle, it's just so joyous!
  • Raincoat
    Raincoat Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Getting towards the end of the month and its been fairly good, resisting a number of temptations! MSE activities this month include:
    • Sticking on track to my reduced grocery budget (through planning meals and fewer ad-hoc supermarket trips);
    • Buying a "Two together" railcard (our main mode of long distance travel is by train);
    • Cycling for local trips; 
    • Checking on refunds (including an errant direct debit that was cheekily taken - I'll have that £40 back thank you very much);
    • Opting to cook and resist takeaways or restaurants (always something I enjoy more, but it does take some motivation and forward thinking, as well as carefully convincing my non-MSE friends that it’s a better idea).
    There was a planned splurge on furniture and some other items for the house, but these were considered and researched, and all took advantage of some form of discount. 
    Fingers crossed the motivation keeps up!
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like it's going well.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Raincoat
    Raincoat Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    An update for March. Things are pootling along, and I'm being careful when required. Now that my spending should be getting back to pre-Covid habits, its been helpful to compare and contrast. 

Overall I've managed to cut out a few things from my monthly spends compared to where I was in 2019 and not feel much difference (goodbye fancy gym, hello local council leisure centre). A big win is not buying any new clothes so far this year - I cannot emphasise enough how addicted I am to buying clothes!
    Additionally, it certainly helps that I'm still WFH for a few days a week and this is likely to continue - half the battle I find with keeping to a budget is being organised, and reduced commuting gives me time to plan and prepare.

However, like most people I'm very much aware that the next year will bring some pressure, and I can see the impact in some of my spending. I'm lucky though that these can be absorbed right now and are just frustrating my MFW plans, so I've also made sure that my charity contributions continue, and have set up a direct debit to a local food bank. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback