Mental health admission direct debits and no income

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

I will be going to the doctors tomorrow to talk about my mental health. I don't want to detail the issue here however I am fairly sure based on experiences with friends that I may be put under the mental health act and therefore admitted to hospital.

My concern is how my bills will be paid for when I am without an income. I have about £250 in my bank and any kind of sick pay would not cover my monthly outgoings. Family are not in a position to support me either. I have no items I can sell.

For example I have going out:

£420 - debt consolidation loan
£50ish phone
£100 Car insurance
£5 spotify
£40 other small subscriptions

I've read the money and mental health PDF and couldn't see any information relating to my case.

Any help is really appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• edited 29 December 2018 at 2:46PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2018 at 2:46PM
    Hi,

I have had a few hospital admissions for my mental health. You, or a Social Worker in the hospital will need to contact your creditors to advise them of your situation. Things like Spotify and other subscriptions can be cancelled. Your loan, phone and car insurance payments need to be suspended for the moment. Creditors are generally sympathetic when it comes to mental health, so try not to worry too much. It may be, that while you are ill, you may be eligible for benefits. Do you pay rent or have a mortgage?

Your creditors cannot be paid while you have nil income. They will have to work with you to find solutions to manage your finances.

If your illness is a long-term issue, then you will need to work out a long-term solution.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • n-1n-1 Forumite
    17 Posts
    Thank you for your reply. I am living with family so I am not in a formal rental agreement and there wouldn't be an issue being unable to pay rent
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Phew :) Not having to pay any rent is a huge plus in your favour.

It may be that your health can be treated while remaining at home. A home Treatment Team is available from most trusts. A Home Treatment Team is counted as a hospital admission. You get allocated a psychiatrist and Support Worker. Your medication would be dispensed at home by the team.

It may also be possible, that following assessment, your health is addressed by a Community Mental Health Team (CMHT). With the CMHT, you also get allocated a psychiatrist and Social Worker. Your medication is dispensed via your GP under the guidance of the psychiatrist.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals