tooth removal at a hospital

Can anyone signpost me to some info about this, just in case the hospital don't give me much information. In fact they've so far given me none at all..

I need to have a bottom back tooth removed that's decayed and is wedged next to a wisdom that's at an awkward angle. Feeling a bit apprehensive.. but anyway, so far they're saying they can do it with just a local anaesthetic, which I'm pleased about.

My question being: what sort of aftercare does having a back tooth removed require, and how to avoid things like dry socket (?) or other problems. Oh and how to eat :rotfl: I can't take antibiotics, they make me feel ill, so really hoping I won't be told to take any!

I've never actually had a tooth removed and hope I don't have to again.
taking a self-enforced break from this forum due to the persistent and ongoing troll problem, and the systematic abuse of the report button system in order to get people/usernames banned

Comments

• I’ve only had 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time at hospital under general anaesthetic. I was given antibiotics and painkillers and (this was 22 years ago) my Mum had made jelly so that the pills could be buried in it and just slide down my throat as I was unable to open my mouth wide enough to take pills normally.
    As my Mum always said "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"
  • My dayward does dental surgeries. You should be given an info packet either by your surgeon preop or at discharge from the hospital.

It will tell you when you can start rinsing your mouth and we include a recipe to make your own saline rinse.

Not all antibiotics make people sick. Talk to your surgeon about which ones you have had issues with. Some stomach upsets are to be ex because antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria. Ask about probiotics if you are prescribed antibiotics.
  • AFAIK I just sign a consent form and get an xray done prior to the thing being pulled out, or surgically removed..
    taking a self-enforced break from this forum due to the persistent and ongoing troll problem, and the systematic abuse of the report button system in order to get people/usernames banned
  • Had a tooth out last January for a severe gum infection secondary to immunosuppressive medication.

Just follow their aftercare instructions - it might take a while to get feeling back (so lots of tissues for dribbling until then, as half your lip will be numb), soup and room temperature drinks are good. They did say that sucking (eg on a straw or to slosh saline around) was a really bad idea, as it can cause the clot to shift (which is what causes dry socket, I think).

Don't poke it about with your tongue, expect it to be tender for quite a bit longer than you expected, especially as the wisdom tooth will have room to shift about. Be prepared for it feeling really weird and a few occurrences of biting food and it hurting/getting food caught in the gap (try and keep harder food on the other side - and French bread is a really, really bad idea).

Or - having it done could provide so much relief that the post extraction discomfort is nothing. Depends upon how painful it is now.

The most difficult part of it for me was lying back for the injections when I was already dizzy from the infection (I was rather unwell, complete with high temperature) but the extraction itself was a doddle, just a bit of pressure and it was out. Afterwards, it was annoying for a while, but nothing like how I felt with a huge amount of infection and confirmed allergies to almost all antibiotics.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family