PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A More Old Style Year

Options
2018 hasn't been an awful year - especially compared to other people. But at this strange time after Christmas but before the New Year I get into a reflective mood.

I am realising that I have lost myself! Somewhere in between working a violent job being a full time step mum as well as having a house of clutter I have become overwhelmed and paralysed by how far off my ideal I seem to be.

This year I want to get back to my old style mindset. Everything seems to have slipped this year :/ budgeting has never been my strong point but really needs to be top priority in 2019. Also budgeting my time! I waste so much time just to laziness. Then I end up running about doing chores and must do tasks then never get around to the baking / gardening / crafting / homemaking that I love.

So I am planning my Resolutions and not in my usual wishy washy way. Steps and goals and targets!!

Do you set New Year's Resolutions? I want to find myself again and to allow myself to be happy.

Comments

• kittydfw2012
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track with a strong focus on what you want. I personally have found a few things that made a massive difference:

1. Read Marie Kondo - The life changing magic of tidying and Spark Joy books, then having a tidying festival to sort out your clutter. I've just got a free trial to Netflix and Marie has a new programme starting 1 Jan, could be just what you need. Also see the Konmari thread here.

2. Dave Ramsey - can be too religious for some people, can be too bossy for others but I love Dave (and his team) and am using his 'baby steps' successfully, paying off a third of my debt in a year (around £30,000 to start with, now £20,000 ish). I vowed in 2018 not to use a credit card for anything and I managed it. You have to do a budget and I use Dave's 'Everydollar' app and ignore the dollar signs, just think of it in terms of pounds. Best budgeting advice - he's on YouTube, go and have a look :)

Good luck with all your plans x
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    2018 hasn't been an awful year - especially compared to other people. But at this strange time after Christmas but before the New Year I get into a reflective mood.

I am realising that I have lost myself! Somewhere in between working a violent job being a full time step mum as well as having a house of clutter I have become overwhelmed and paralysed by how far off my ideal I seem to be.

This year I want to get back to my old style mindset. Everything seems to have slipped this year :/ budgeting has never been my strong point but really needs to be top priority in 2019. Also budgeting my time! I waste so much time just to laziness. Then I end up running about doing chores and must do tasks then never get around to the baking / gardening / crafting / homemaking that I love.

So I am planning my Resolutions and not in my usual wishy washy way. Steps and goals and targets!!

Do you set New Year's Resolutions? I want to find myself again and to allow myself to be happy.

I’m sorry to hear about your job, Angel_Jenny, and the stresses in your life.

My resolutions for 2019 are not multiple, for once. I want to start the year with an updated CV. I want to tick off a few places from the Bucket List, so will indulge in some weekends away. I want to build some muscle and be able to run 5k. I’d like to knit at least 4 jumpers and 6 pairs of socks, and publish the patterns to the handful of each that I’ve designed myself.

On the Old Style monetary front, I need to save £2,000 in order to replace our stove with a similar model. It’s a fake aga, double ovens, 7 burners, 110cm in width and the kitchen was built around it. The ovens are dying and, after 18 years, it’s not worth repairing. (I tried getting it repaired in 2013 with limited success.).

The best strategy I have for saving money is Quarantine: all the bills are paid from one account (our joint account, which we fund proportionally to our salaries); the savings pots each have their own separate accounts; we have a “Running Away Fund” for holidays; the housekeeping money gets withdrawn as cash; and whatever money left in my bank account is my “money to live off” for the month. Even my car’s mileage money from travelling for work gets quarantined into its own account for repairs, insurance and the inevitable replacement.

HTH.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh this resonates with me soooo much!

I'm currently faced with the realisation that I am living as a 'human doing' rather than a 'human being'

I am not living in line with the values, ethos and ideals I want for myself, and then berating myself for not doing whats needed in order to live in that way.

I'm a big procrastinator, overthinker and, although loathed to admit it, lazy when it comes to changes. I have flurries and attempt to do everything as it all becomes too much to bear to not 'be the real me' and then its hard/challenging and I give up before its truly even begun.

I would like to see myself:
    Channeling my creativity
    Utilising my allotment in a much more productive way
    Cooking healthier food from the earth
    Spending more time outside and together with my family
    Protecting myself from the stresses of modern society

And now I need to find measurable ways in which to implement this.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I totally relate to this!

I want to be more 'time rich' and i am going to try and reduce the stress in my life.

I want more enjoyment out of life and less 'stuff'
    Living the simple life
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi Angel Jenny

Sounds like you have a plan.

I don't make NY resolutions as such as I try to review things every two-three months.

Do you make a " vision board"? I appreciate this may sound a bit " woo-woo" but I've found over the last couple of years this really helps. There are loads of ways to do this - I'd have a google or Pinterest for ideas.

I also have a morning and evening routine. This makes everything less stressful. You can put in what you like but I prep for the next day, meditate, journal and read ( an actual book!) before bed.

I empathise as about three years ago I was very much in a similar position to you. I shall follow along as I think it's a great idea for a thread.

Very best of luck

Bexster :)
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    My kinda resolution is deciding that 2019 is going to be the best year ever, as far as im concerned if I wake up every day then that's a good day regardless of what else happens :)
    2018 was the expense year with buying a house and a big step in our plans for eventual retirement, so a very old school frugal year ahead to overpay the mortgage as much as possible.
    Best of luck hope 2019 is everything you want it to be and more.
  • awinterstale
    Options
    Love the positivity of this thread... will definitely be following closely and can relate to A LOT of what’s been posted on here so far! My main objectives for 2019 are (in no particular order!):-

1. Pay as much off of our debt as possible. My gorgeous hubby and myself would like to buy our forever home in the country in the the next few years, but can’t do this until we are in a more favourable financial position.

2. Stop wasting money. I can go from being extremely savvy one day to being extremely stupid the next. I have a ridiculous obsession for a bargain (mostly clothes and groceries!) and have accumulated far too much ‘stuff.

3. We are generally quite tidy on the face of things, but our cupboards, wardrobes etc are a disaster area (due to the amount of ‘stuff’). Will be following the new Konmari show on Netflix.

4. Meal plan. Freezers and store cupboards need cataloguing and sorting.

5. Lose a stone (will be happy with 3 pounds a month!).
    TOTAL DEBT @ 01.02.20. = £21,452.67 :eek:
  • debtfreeforlife
    Options
    I love this idea! I'd like to get back to more of an old style mindset as well - reduce, reuse and recycle, buying quality rather than quantity, cooking at home rather than buying takeaways/ready meals. I try and do all of these things and succeed about 20% of the time - I'd like to get to at least a 50% success rate this year! I'll be following this thread with interest and would like to be involved.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I want to get more old style this year, because I lost my job early November and want to try and keep the payout intact and live on husband's income for as long as possible.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No resolutions as such but keep trying to be a better and less damaging to the environment person, look for small but useful changes that can be made to how we live without making us martyrs to our own idealism and keep exploring our new home area hoping to make some more aquaintences here. More than that is a bonus and in the hands of the Gods!

Have a happy and fulfilling New Year everyone xxx.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure