Forum Home» Special Occasions & Other Celebrations

* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread - Page 13

New Post Advanced Search

* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

868 replies 120.1K views

Replies

• PeppapigPeppapig Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the thread SSUPER. Is that an actual savings card with Asda? I know they used to do something where you buy stamps, is it like that? Is it a set amount you have to save or do you pick your own amount? Sorry for all the questions, I should probably look it up online but as you’re actually doing it.........:D

KERRI I must admit I’d like to stop at 18 too, that would cut one more out for this year and another one in two years time. All the others are still in single figures so they’ve got a few years to go yet lol. I’m going to broach the ‘let’s only buy for the children’ subject this week so fingers crossed!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • StokieBecksStokieBecks Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Peppa some info here https://cards.asda.com/card/ChristmasSaving - good they have a tiered bonus too as not everyone can (or wants to) save ths same amount.

Hope everyone is ok. Nothing overly christmassy happening here just waiting for spring. But at least the nights are drawing out a bit more now
    £2 Savers Club for 2020 #53
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck broaching the subject Peppa I must admit I was slightly dreading it, but my responses varied from "ok", to "ok I'll let you tell him" (which I never actually did, jut stopped) and one I delegated to OH to mention...not sure if he ever did or not. In the end I decided I didn't actually care if anyone took offence, gifts are a choice, not an obligation.

I did feel a bit bad about siblings where one would hit 18 before the other, then figured that they would have had the years before said sibling was born so it was still fair....and if they didn't think so, well I was gifting them a valuable life lesson that life doesn't always seem fair :rotfl:

Picked up a little YS pj top (but could just be a long sleeved t shirt) for
    DN for this Xmas in the m&s sale. It should have been part of a 6 piece £25 set but seemed to have lost all its siblings so was marked a £1.50 itself.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks STOKIE, I’ll have a read.

Lol at the life lesson KERRI.:rotfl:
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lazysheep wrote: »
    Is it this one that you posted a couple of years ago? easy fudge

yes, that's the one ! i was convinced there was another ingredient .It didn't taste right though so i binned it .
  • kerri_gt wrote: »
    I did feel a bit bad about siblings where one would hit 18 before the other, then figured that they would have had the years before said sibling was born so it was still fair....and if they didn't think so, well I was gifting them a valuable life lesson that life doesn't always seem fair :rotfl:

I will never forget one Christmas some family friends had the policy that they didn't buy gifts for children once they turned 18, which is fine...

I was the first to turn 18, I am 6 years older than the oldest of the "kids" - but what sucked was they bought presents for the adults, so my gran, my mum, my dad, and they bought presents for the kids. So in a room of 9 people everyone got presents but me :(

The lesson I got from it, was that I will always buy everyone "something" even if it's just a chocolate orange. Being the only person in a room to get nothing is a little bit heartbreaking. We all buy for everyone now.

It has always been a weird thing though with me not being one of the "grown ups" but being so much older than the "kids" I mean I'm nearly 30 now, and the "kids" are all in their 20's and it's only just in the last couple of years, when their oldest lad bought a house and my sister went to uni that I've fitted in with them a bit more.

I popped into morrisons yesterday I don't know how but they still have Christmas sale stuff... So I bought some present ribbons, there a couple too cheesey for me, actually shaped to read ho ho ho. So I'll pop those seperate to go to the charity shop and just keep the ones I'm likely to use. For the last couple of years I've said I'm going to do a gift wrap blog post but never got round to it, maybe if I start planning now :rotfl:
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve
    :happyhear
    (Decluttering - 185/2019 //£'s saved - £32.41 /2019 // Lbs lost - 42/102 )
  • nic2075nic2075 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice and nice words for DD. Things got a bit better this week. She seemed happier too. She said she is trying to ignore them so they lose interest.

I popped into boots to see what they had left. They had quite a few things at 70%, but nothing I would buy as gifts, so I didn’t get anything.

That sucks Pixielottie. I think it’s a good idea not to buy automatically once they are 18. But if all the adults get a gift, then no one should be left out.
    This year we did a secret Santa between my sisters and my brother in laws. It worked out well and meant just buying one decent gift. Usually I buy both sisters something nice, but the brother in laws get a silly gift, or a dvd and smellies. This year we all made more of an effort. The only ones we bought for were my dad and the kids. Saved in money and stress.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • nic2075 - Secret Santa is always a brilliant way of buying nice but saving money, I always do secret santa with my college friends (scarily over 10 years since we left college now :| ). I'm starting a petition to up the budget this year, we've stuck to £15 since we were 16, we can all afford more now and I think it's making it harder than it needs to be, especially as for the last 3 years I've had one of my friends husbands so can't even just go for a nice bottle of something >.<

I've been avoiding boots thinking nothing would be left but I may have to go for a nosey next time I'm in town... my "present stash" needs a bit of a refill. I've picked up a few cheap "bulk things up" type bits and bobs from Superdrug recently, nothing exciting but face masks, and beauty blenders.
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve
    :happyhear
    (Decluttering - 185/2019 //£'s saved - £32.41 /2019 // Lbs lost - 42/102 )
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pixielottie that's s real tough one if everyone else in the room gets gifts.

OH is one of 6 and it varies between siblings who gets gifts and who doesn't for b'days and Xmas, the 'boys' don't seem to bother, one SIL has great intentions but is usually tied up with her young kids and two other SIL usually do b'days and sometimes Xmas. One said no gifts this year, we'd go out even though I had bought hers already so I just kept it. Although with everything that happened at Xmas the meal didn't happen either.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    PIXIELOTT that’s an awful thing for them to do. How can you be neither child nor adult? Well whatever we end up doing it definitely won’t be that. I think not buying for the adults makes financial sense but I just can’t bring myself to do it - I think because buying the pressies is what I enjoy in the run up to Christmas. What I’ve suggested is that we stop buying for the ‘children’ at 18 and do our £10 limit for the adults so up to 18 we’ll spend £30-£40 (the children are all our grandchildren) and after that it’ll go down to £10 and they’ll be adults. To be honest I enjoy finding good pressies for £10 much more enjoyable anyway. We’ll still buy for birthdays though.