PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal in retirement

Options

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys
    Welcome all of you.
    Once Xmas is over I will be doing more batch cooking. There’s no room in the freezer at the moment.
    I aim not to buy any makeup, moistures etc until I’ve used up what I’ve got. I’m still working my way through last Christmas gifts and then I’ll start on my birthday stash. Nothing will be thrown away until it is well and truly empty.
    Any saving will go to wipe out my credit card debt and then to pay off next years holiday.
    We’ve loads of clothes so nothing will be bought until we’ve worn out most of them. Or if they are too big because we are both doing SW and then they will go to the charity shop.
    We live simply anyway but have let things slip recently. Christmas has been more expensive than I would have liked but next year is going to be less so. We’ve cut down on the food this year, next year we’ll cut down on all the extra stocking filler bits. It’s very difficult though because old habits die hard.
    Anyway I better get on
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm using up all my odd bits of moistures etc at the moment. I love Clinique and usually buy it in Philadelphia airport on the way home from busting son and family in the USA. But nit been since March so run out last week

I have three of the taster creams left from the Marks treat last year, so one of those at night and an Avon day cream. I must have bought that ages ago when supporting a local woman who'd split with her husband.

OH and I lost a lot weight two years ago, so stocked the charity shops. I'm wearing fine cords at the moment which are pulled in at the waist so much that they look gathered!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been retired for six years and just like buildersdaughter am ex NHS . I am due to get my State pension in July so have augmented my pension by selling on Ebay,making cakes for my son`s work and also being a host for theatre professionals.

I love being retired and but definitely feel I have taken `my eye off the ball` with my monthly spending so need to monitor it more closely. I have had a lot of unanticipated costs recently such as the CH etc and definitely ran out of money.

The positives are that I live very near to the town centre and to public transport, have lots of friends and am never bored. It is hard being single not only because I miss being in a relationship and also it is more expensive!
  • frizz2
    frizz2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    This sounds like a great idea. I will join too if that is okay. I am retiring in July next year, and am planning how to make my money go further then. I would appreciate hearing all the ideas you all have. I love sewing and knitting and I am trying to use up my stash of things before buying anymore. Look forward to sharing ideas!
  • nannygladys
    Options
    Hi everyone, just lost my post as the internet went down before I finished it!! Anyway I would like to follow. Retired a few years ago, only have state pension as had low paid jobs and being a single parent couldn't afford a private one, but I managed to buy my own house that was paid off before I retired and I manage pretty well (theres still only me) but I would like to do more things eg travel a bit more in this country and perhaps abroad if there was a chance, so I will follow and see if I can pick up a few tips.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • davidsdesire
    Options
    i'd like to join as well. My dh will semi-retire this year (or so he says...i'll believe it when I see it) and I must learn to live on less. HE is ok with us spending from our retirement savings but I am not.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning guys
    Hope you are all happy and ready for tomorrow’s festivities.
    I resisted the urge to buy more mince pies yesterday, we’ve still two boxes left and lots of other yummy stuff. Also we are going to youngest sons for Xmas and Boxing Day this afternoon when I finish work and he will also have bought some. So I didn’t spend a penny yesterday and that’s my aim for the rest of the week.
    Yesterday was soooo busy at work. You would think the shops were shut for weeks rather than a few hours 😱😱 and it’s probably going to be as bad today. But after that I’m off and ready to eat, drink and laze about 😃🎄😃
    Well I better go get ready
    Have a wonderful day tomorrow guys
    Merry Christmas
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    January will see me and DH attempt to live on one state pension and two tiny occupational pensions. The second state pension, mine, is still more than 5 years away.

So I'm really interested in how this thread will develop!

Meanwhile, merry Christmas and peaceful New Year to all.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • plumduff55
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join as well. I retired with very little notice 3 years ago aged 60. I have two small pensions and supplement this from my savings till I get my state pension in October 2021. With the support of MSE I paid off my mortgage (ex LA house) 8 years early which then allowed me to future proof my home and have savings.

I divorced when my children were only small so I have complete control and responsibility for all spending and savings. Although my spending budget made in 2015 is going to plan I still feel really uncomfortable dipping into my savings each month.

This year has been a tough year for me and I feel I have lost my way a bit. My interests are sewing, knitting, quilting, baking, cooking, walking, going to the cinema and travelling. I love being retired and having the time to spend on all my activities.

My goal for next year is to get my mojo back while spending less xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I’d also like to join :)
    Not due to retire until 2035, but am now on my own and living frugally on a part time salary - I don’t foresee this changing before I retire.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business