Negotiating advice

Hi everyone,
I recently posted about o2 and now need further advice! I finally managed to find out that I owe £495 from a debt from dec 2002, after speaking to 13 people in the call centre. I put them off saying I wouldnt be able to make a payment til the end of the month, and I have had one missed call from them this morning so I obviously need to ring them again asap! I just wanted some advice. I am really skint at the mo earning £190 a week, paid weekly. With bills and rent it is quite tight.
How can I go about negotiating with o2?Can anybody give me some advice?what would the minimum I cld expect to pay back a week? Im worried!

Comments

• fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Probably best to speak to the people within O2 who deal with this (payments or repayment dept will be called summat like that) and explain your situ, basically advise them of how you can pay back and that you would like to pay it back weekly/monthly, I'm sure they'll come to an agreement with you. Don't think there is a set minimum.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    missali wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I finally managed to find out that I owe £495 from a debt from dec 2002, after speaking to 13 people in the call centre.

13 people, not a record but pretty bad. I'd tell them that you will only deal in writing. Send them a (recorded delivery) letter saying you were unaware of this debt and its a nasty shock. Send a copy of you budget and an offer to pay something each month. Start with £5.
    They will probably pass this to a debt collector. If they do then just do the same again to them.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Malestrom
    Malestrom Posts: 983 Forumite
    Remember to offer less than you can afford, then when they want more, you have a little breathing space to increase your offer. They'll feel like they've got more out of you and should be happier to accept a low payment.
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
  • missali_2
    missali_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks everyone i am going to send them a letter today!
    Will i just use the main o2 address?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport