1999 Student Loan Bankruptcy, showing on credit report

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
2 replies 817 views
broken_manbroken_man Forumite
15 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
I was declared Bankrupt in 1999 and at the time, Student Loans could be included in your Bankruptcy. This was prior to the law changing.

As with my other defaults, I never heard anything again regarding these bankruptcy debts. After 6 years my defaults were removed from my credit report.

This morning I checked my Noddle credit report and to my surprise, my Student Loan is listed as a default by a company called Link Financial and has been accruing interest monthly since January 2018.

I've questioned this with Noddle, but can anyone shine any light on this? Has the law changed and can I be made liable for a debt 19 years after my bankruptcy, that was included in my bankruptcy?

I've not received any information in writing from the Link Financial.

Replies

• fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the bankruptcy predates the law change, then just do the normal:

--> Credit Reference File Clean Up Post Bankruptcy

Make it very clear in your letters that your loans ARE covered as your BR predates their exemption, and that you will NOT tolerate any attempt by link to misleadingly claim otherwise.

Link must backdate their default to your bankruptcy date, which will cause the account and default to be removed from your report.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • edited 17 December 2018 at 4:16PM
    broken_manbroken_man Forumite
    15 Posts
    edited 17 December 2018 at 4:16PM
    Many thanks for the information.

It looks like the loan was sold onto Link Financial even though it was part of my bankruptcy in 1999. Yet the Default date on my Noddle account is dated 2016. :mad:

Not sure if I still have my paperwork regarding the insolvency or discharge though. Can the Insolvency Service provide copies?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals