House Insurance Advice

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
3 replies 849 views
RetrogamingRetrogaming Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
Hi there,
I was declared bankrupt around 9 years ago (this has now dropped off my credit file)

House Insurance for me is a minefield, a lot of them need to know if you have ever been declared bankrupt....

Admiral have this text in their policy

Please tell us immediately
y If you or anyone living with you is convicted of a criminal offence, has a pending
conviction for a criminal offence, is declared bankrupt or receives an IVA (Individual
Voluntary Agreement)

Now I'm no longer declared bankrupt ... So do I have to declare this to them?

Thanks!

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

It’s all in the wording, if the question were “have you ever been declared bankrupt ?” Your answer would be yes.

From what you have posted they are only interested if you declare it whilst you are a customer of theirs.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you.........Private Frazer".
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi yes as sourcrates says it does sound they are saying if you are declared B.R during the policy to let them know........when I went B.R 6 years ago my contents insurance policy had that wording , when I phoned them they cancelled the policy, my trustee called them to explain the circumstances but they would not move.
    However every year since I have used a different provider and if asked always answered yes to the question have you every been B.R
    I have never had a problem since.
  • PotbellypigPotbellypig Forumite
    724 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Same for any insurance, isn't it? I know every year when I renew my business insurance that they ask me. Higher insurance costs is one of the 'hidden' parts of bankruptcy.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals