We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Opened letter for ex - help
Numpty_Monkey
Posts: 14,196 Forumite
Hello all
Hope you can offer a bit of advice and help
Today I got home ,
There were 3 letters , I opened all 3, but 1 was for the Ex ,
I didn’t read the names
The one for the Ex is from a DCA (Scotcall debt collecting services)
I read the letter before I realised it wasn’t for me,
I usually just text her and say there’s a letter and leave it for her to pickup.(and no she dosen’t have a key to the house anymore)
What should I do?
Should I contact the DCA and tell them
or ignore the letter and next time it comes “return to sender”
Help,, please
Hope you can offer a bit of advice and help
Today I got home ,
There were 3 letters , I opened all 3, but 1 was for the Ex ,
I didn’t read the names
The one for the Ex is from a DCA (Scotcall debt collecting services)
I read the letter before I realised it wasn’t for me,
I usually just text her and say there’s a letter and leave it for her to pickup.(and no she dosen’t have a key to the house anymore)
What should I do?
Should I contact the DCA and tell them
or ignore the letter and next time it comes “return to sender”
Help,, please
PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
DFD 5/1/16Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying. Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: &
for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx
0
Comments
-
I did a similar thing - they were threatening to send in bailiffs too! as ex still owes me about £1000 I felt there was no way they were having any claim on anything of mine and passed his real address on. I know you'll all shoot me down in flames for this but he's been running away from these things for years (not that I found out until we split) and I didn't want them turning up or phoning me.Mortgage OP 2026 £1920/2000Mortgage balance: £29,382
Make £50 a month Jan £20, Feb £0, March £31, Apr £20, May £30, Jun £120, Jul £0, Aug £45, Sept0 -
Two things.
Politely ask your ex to please change her address with this company
Secondly get a copy of your credit reports from Experien/Equifax. See that all is well. Then you can get a notice of disassociation put on the file to the effect that the ex is no longer living there or financially associated with you.
regards
chevI want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
0 -
Tell them her new address, it may be that its something she has overlooked & wants to sort out (it will also get you off the hook for opening her mail) If they dont have another address they will keep bothering you.Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!0
-
As others have said, give them her current address.
I also did the same - fortunately just somebody flogging cr*rp - was over 5 years after the divorce though.0 -
Hey,
I guess you have a few options, depending on how you feel about your ex! If you're reasonably civil with each other, you could always just 'fess up and say you read it by mistake?
You are under no legal obligation to tell the DCA her new address. I live in a rented apartment with my OH and we kept getting chased by a DCA for an electricity bill that the previous tenants had run up - I sent them a strongly worded letter (if you want a copy PM me?) to the effect that chasing someone who does not owe them money is tantamount to harassment under trading standards and if they didn't stop it I'd report them. Oddly, there's not been one tiny peep out of them in the 2 months since :rolleyes:
I would agree with Chevalier about checking your credit reports (remember to use all 3 of the main companies)
skint_spice, I don't blame you in the slightest for passing on your ex's details, it's really a personal decision based on how you left things and whatnot.
Hope my two cents worth has helped!
Target debt - Loan left over from previous relationship - c. £3700
“Courage is found in unlikely places” — J.R.R. Tolkien0 -
Thanks for the replies,:A we are sort of civil to each other but i don't know her new address,
Do you think it wold be best posting the letter back with a letter saying it was opened by mistake no idea were she is (to be honest if I know i would tell them):mad:
i think your letter Jenna would be very usefull, How do you send pm?
thanks again all :beer:PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
DFD 5/1/16Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying
. Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: &
for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx0 -
Thanks for the replies,:A we are sort of civil to each other but i don't know her new address,
Do you think it wold be best posting the letter back with a letter saying it was opened by mistake no idea were she is (to be honest if I know i would tell them):mad:
i think your letter Jenna would be very usefull, How do you send pm?
thanks again all :beer:PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
DFD 5/1/16Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying
. Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: &
for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx0 -
Hey,
Sounds like a pretty reasonable option to me
I've sent you a PM, if you go to Quick Links > Private Messages you ought to see it in your Inbox! Hope that helps!
Target debt - Loan left over from previous relationship - c. £3700
“Courage is found in unlikely places” — J.R.R. Tolkien0 -
thanks jenna:T :beer: very much appraciatedPROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
DFD 5/1/16Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying
. Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: &
for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx0 -
You could just ring them & say that she no longer lives there but you dont know up to date address as you've separated...hope you sort it ok!Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
