A query if I miss my connecting train....

Options
2»

Comments

• lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try booking on https://www.trainsplit.com . You can specify the extra time to change trains in the advanced options. Although this site is geared towards finding split tickets it does bring up regular Advance fares if that's the cheapest ticket available.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nobile wrote: »
    I decided that the National Rail website option was the best way to do it - factor in that we will probably arrive a bit late or not have enough time (3 kids & 8 suitcases!), so decided we'll book the next train from Reading.

But it wont allow me to book - after inputing all the details, it simply says

"Oh no! There's been a problem!
    Problem buying tickets on this website?
    Due to a technical issue, we are currently unable to pass your ticket purchase on to the relevant train operating company website. During this time, we advise you to buy your tickets directly from the train company.

Please select the train company you want to purchase your tickets from:......"

....and then lists all the train companies, which DON'T give you the option to chose your own connecting train.

Very frustrating

Have you tried telephoning one of the companies? Tell them the exact details of the ticket and timings that you found on the National Rail website and see if they can sell you the ticket.
  • nobile
    nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2018 at 1:03AM
    Options
    lammy82 wrote: »
    Try booking on https://www.trainsplit.com . You can specify the extra time to change trains in the advanced options.

Thanks lammy - this worked a treat. And my 3 year old is free!

Now that it's booked, Is there anything stopping me from taking an earlier train than the one I pay for if I arrive earlier than expected and make it to the platform in time (highly unlikely but just asking)!
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    If it's an Advance fare then you are committed to the specific train which you have a reservation on. But sometimes with an advance fare for a multi-leg journey, only the main (reservable) service has this restriction, and the connecting (non-reservable) service is actually flexible, i.e. you are not committed to using the specific train you searched for.

So, if the second train doesn't come with a reservation for that specific service, you may well be entitled to use a different one. But if it does then you can't just jump on the earlier one, no.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nobile wrote: »
    Now that it's booked, Is there anything stopping me from taking an earlier train than the one I pay for if I arrive earlier than expected and make it to the platform in time (highly unlikely but just asking)!

If you bought an Advance ticket, valid only for the booked train, then doing anything different would be the same as travelling with no ticket at all. (The ticket itself will say that, and there will be a seat reservation on the train in question.) If you do not have a seat reservation on the connecting train then your ticket for that part of the journey is flexible. And in any case, if you manage to find the train manager and ask permission to take the earlier train, then if s/he agrees you are good to go. (They are often helpful in this respect to people travelling with young children.)
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    As the trains are either two or three coaches long I wouldn't worry too much which carriage you travel in. Reading station is quite large but you should be able to get to any platform in under 5 minutes.

If you book specific trains and the Gatwick train is late it would be best to speak to a member of staff to get the ticket endorsed for a later train from Reading.

In the event of a tight connection, being at the front and one of the first off the train can help, especially if the platform is busy
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    In the event of a tight connection, being at the front and one of the first off the train can help, especially if the platform is busy
    True but I think it's marginal with such a short train. Getting up as the train comes in to be first off is more important I would think. On a busy train first off from the last carriage is easily going to beat the last person from the first carriage.

Gatwick trains usually use platform 5 at Reading - right hand side doors if the OP wants to win the race!
  • nobile
    nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    Appreciate all your advice. Train travel ain't easy! Very complicated rules. Might be the reason why I don't use them!

Thanks all
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    If you split the tickets as it sometimes works out cheaper to buy a ticket to the connection point and then another ticket for the second leg, they are not obliged to let you continue to travel as you simply missed your 2nd train regardless of how you got to the station.
    This is completely untrue for so many reasons!

You are perfectly entitled to use two or more tickets for one journey; there are even National Rail accredited booking sites that will sell combinations of tickets for one journey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure