We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What is a fair charge for writing a letter

A debt I owed has been handed to a Debt Collection company. They have added £40 to the debt and the only thing they have done so far is write a letter informing me they will start proceedings if the amount is not paid in 14 days.
Can they do this ? Surely by law they can only add on their costs, and I dont see how writing one letter adds up to £40.
Any suggestions on how I should proceed.
Obviously I do not want to end up with CCJ's against me and the original debt is not a huge amount.
Thanks

Comments

  • Hi, I too have problems with a company called British Credit Trust charging for letters at £25.00 per letter. I have tried and tried to find out on the internet if this is legal or not... No luck as yet to that information. So I ask...is there any law against us ordinary household people sending letters back (actually hand written) not automated, and charging the companies who we send the letter back to? After all it is polite to acknowledge there letters informing them you have recieved there letter and will sort things out..So why not charge for it? We have to buy the paper, spend time writing it...SO LETS CHARGE FOR IT!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.