We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Very first post
The_penniless_Mr_Kurtz
Posts: 2 Newbie
Okay - so here goes....
I've been in debt for years. At my worst, my debt was around 27k and my annual income was around 10k... Things are looking up now - I'm sorting things out and have a much healthier debt to income ratio (22k to 29.5k earned)
Thankfully, my nearest and dearest know all about my situation and have been incredibly supportive. The trouble is, being in debt, even when you're dealing with it and everyone knows about, is a really lonely place to be. I thought I'd get involved in this forum to both get and give support.
To get it off my chest here's my story:
I had my 'lightbulb moment' over a year ago in October 2006. I'd had a period of unemployment and had made a few unwise financial decisions. Looking back, I think I went bonkers for about four months (quiting work, borrowing money I couldn't afford to, paying credit with credit blah, blah, blah). Anyhow - I hit the point of no return. I couldn't pay my rent or feed myself let alone find anything for my creditors. After a few distressing attempts to find a reputable DM company, I found myself in touch with CCCS. They have been fantastic, and in most ways I haven't looked back since.
Right now, I pay £450 each month to CCCS, and have a tight budget for all of my other expenses, which I have no choice but to stick to. I find things like birthdays and (dreading it) Christmas really difficult, because I simply don't have the cash to spend and feel like a real skin flint. I get depressed when people suggest coffee meetings at work - If I didn't budget for it, I can't afford it! I try not to think about things like new clothes, haircuts, new glasses. They are off the agenda for now. On the one hand, I have no-one to blame but myself, but on the other I feel completely lousy about the spending thing (usually around pay day, when I realise all of my money is completely accounted for before it even hits the bank)
Anyhow - I have a small confession to make to the world. But I'm saving that for my next post (haven't plucked up the courage yet!!!)
I've been in debt for years. At my worst, my debt was around 27k and my annual income was around 10k... Things are looking up now - I'm sorting things out and have a much healthier debt to income ratio (22k to 29.5k earned)
Thankfully, my nearest and dearest know all about my situation and have been incredibly supportive. The trouble is, being in debt, even when you're dealing with it and everyone knows about, is a really lonely place to be. I thought I'd get involved in this forum to both get and give support.
To get it off my chest here's my story:
I had my 'lightbulb moment' over a year ago in October 2006. I'd had a period of unemployment and had made a few unwise financial decisions. Looking back, I think I went bonkers for about four months (quiting work, borrowing money I couldn't afford to, paying credit with credit blah, blah, blah). Anyhow - I hit the point of no return. I couldn't pay my rent or feed myself let alone find anything for my creditors. After a few distressing attempts to find a reputable DM company, I found myself in touch with CCCS. They have been fantastic, and in most ways I haven't looked back since.
Right now, I pay £450 each month to CCCS, and have a tight budget for all of my other expenses, which I have no choice but to stick to. I find things like birthdays and (dreading it) Christmas really difficult, because I simply don't have the cash to spend and feel like a real skin flint. I get depressed when people suggest coffee meetings at work - If I didn't budget for it, I can't afford it! I try not to think about things like new clothes, haircuts, new glasses. They are off the agenda for now. On the one hand, I have no-one to blame but myself, but on the other I feel completely lousy about the spending thing (usually around pay day, when I realise all of my money is completely accounted for before it even hits the bank)
Anyhow - I have a small confession to make to the world. But I'm saving that for my next post (haven't plucked up the courage yet!!!)
0
Comments
-
Hello Mr K! and welcome!
You'll get through this - promise!!!
First things first.... post up your SOA (see sticky thread on main page) then we can work out where you can get started..!
Remember to include your APRs
Good luck and keep us updated!
LP
xox0 -
Hi Mr Kurtz, dont panic over your little confession, most of us tend to have one or two to make every so often.2026 Goals
Live below £14000
Emergency Fund 1 £3k/£1002
Emergency Fund 2 £200 (works a bit like Premium Bonds)
Premium Bonds £1k/£700
Stocks & Shares Isa £5k/£1651
SIPP £9200/2000 -
Hi Mr. K and welcome :hello:
This is a really great place of support so whatever confessions/secrets you want to share, you can be sure that everyone on here is really supportive.:eek: Total debt £21,000 :eek:Weight loss to date - 2 st, 2lb:j0 -
A very warm welcome The penniless Mr Kurtz to MSE DFW
BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!
THE KILLERS :cool:
THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:0 -
Hi Mr K
I've got my first CCCS phone appointment tomorrow morning ( Fri)
I'm interested to know if all your creditors agreed to a DMP through CCCS?
My worry, is that some will and others will go for my jugular.
I guess I'm nervous as I haven't a clue what I'm heading into. I have a £77K debt currently...frightening !!! Thanks for any advice0 -
Hey there.
In my case all of my creditors accepted (and suspended interest too). As I understand it, CCCS use industry guidelines when drawing up budgets and financial statements, so the offers are usually accepted.
The guys at CCCS are great, and will do all they can to come up with an agreement that you can manage and is acceptable to your creditors.
Good luck with it all. And don't worry too much.0 -
:hello: :j :dance: :T :wave: Welcome to the gang sweetie! :wave: :T :dance: :j :hello:It sounds like you've done the right thing hon. Post up a SOA and we'll help all we can.Love Jacks xxx
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein0 -
Hi there,
Welcome to the board. I hope you decide to stick around as there are so many fabby people on here who know what it feels like to be in your situation and you will get so much support.
You have come along way and have done a fabby job getting your finances sorted. You will eventually be debt free - imagine that! I know its the pits having no money to spend ATM but its all for a good cause. I feel the same sometimes and just dream of going out and having a spending spree but I am far to sensible for that (its my OHs debt not mine). Anywho best of luck and well done.The_penniless_Mr_Kurtz wrote: »Anyhow - I have a small confession to make to the world. But I'm saving that for my next post (haven't plucked up the courage yet!!!)
I am sooo nosey and it wouldn't be me if I didnt ask. What's your confession???!!??? Obviously you dont need to say if your not ready!AMxxx
Proud to be dealing with my debt
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 752
Northern Rock Loan £7500(4yrs 4 months left)
Virgin CC £2559.42 - 0% until Feb 090 -
Hiya Mr K, welcome to the crew! Well done on getting the debt down so far. You're bound to receive lots of help and advice from this lot (they're very good). Who knows, you might be able to afford some new specs (BOGOFS, etc).
HBPlease continue to hold the line. Your call is very important to us and will be answered by next available robot...0 -
Hi Mr K
Welcome to mse! You sound like you're well on your way, but I'd like to echo the idea of posting up your SOA - its amazing what the folks on here can spot that the original poster hasn't seen.
The other board to go to, apart from this dfw board, is the one about getting income from the net. I'd never have believed it, but between selling a few books and CDs on amazon, doing surveys on the net, clicking on pigsback (check out the freebies board) and mystery shopping, I literally have earned hundreds of pounds over the last year. Give it a go.
Keep posting, and good luck!2023: the year I get to buy a car0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards