We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
£100k debts and redundant
rv99
Posts: 16 Forumite
Advice please.
I have been made redundant from £100k+ job and had no success in finding new employment at any level.
I have used savings and redundancy insurance to keep afloat for the last few months but now out of funds. Have 5 more months insurance payments left which will cover the mortgage and utilities.
CCCS and Payplan cannot help as my income is much less than my outgoings. As I will be unable to pay my monthly unsecured loans in December (£2,754 per month to 7 assorted banks and CCs) they both suggest offering each £1.
House is joint owned (myself and wife) and there is around £150k equity in it. Mtge is £368k.
Is the £1 offer to my creditors the right thing or am I simply bankrupt? If I get a job then all will be well. Should we try to sell the house now? OR go down the £1 offer route for a while OR self bankrupt now?
Any advice would be appreciated.
I have been made redundant from £100k+ job and had no success in finding new employment at any level.
I have used savings and redundancy insurance to keep afloat for the last few months but now out of funds. Have 5 more months insurance payments left which will cover the mortgage and utilities.
CCCS and Payplan cannot help as my income is much less than my outgoings. As I will be unable to pay my monthly unsecured loans in December (£2,754 per month to 7 assorted banks and CCs) they both suggest offering each £1.
House is joint owned (myself and wife) and there is around £150k equity in it. Mtge is £368k.
Is the £1 offer to my creditors the right thing or am I simply bankrupt? If I get a job then all will be well. Should we try to sell the house now? OR go down the £1 offer route for a while OR self bankrupt now?
Any advice would be appreciated.
0
Comments
-
What line of work are you in and roughly where are you? I may be able to pass on some contacts for you employment wise.Total debt at LB Moment (Nov 2007) = £6583 £4649 20.03.09
£5060 Black horse Loan - £4114 as of 20.03.09
£940 o/d with hsbc - -£535 as of 20.03.090 -
Hi RV,
I would think about sending CCA Requests to all your unsecured debts, ie loans, credit cards, catalogue accounts etc, at the very least you'll get some breathing space and you might find that some of the debts are unenforcable.
I would also stick with CCCS, regardless of your income, even if there isn't one they are registered debt charities and will help you come to an informal debt managment plan with your creditors.
kind regards,
shane0 -
put up an SOA so we can have a lookMummy to two girls, 4 & 1, been at home for four years, struggling to contend with the terrifying thought of returning to work.0
-
Hiya and sorry to hear your news.
If there is £150k equity in the house then technically you are not bankrupt. You are not going to be able to address the situation properly until you find work but in the meantime put up your SOA (as mentioned above) and we will see if we can assist. You can then try to make some sort of repayment plan to offer your creditors - a self made DMP.
Keep posting0 -
Also check out www.entitledto.co.uk to make sure you are recieving all the benefits you should be.BSCno.87The only stupid question is an unasked oneLoving life as a Kernow Hippy0
-
Thnaks for replies.
I have checked the FAQ and found out whta an SOA is. Will wotk on now and post up when done.
Thnaks again0 -
And improve my keyboard spelling!!!!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards