Giving it a go!

Replies

• twinklietwinklie Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve only just stumbled across your thread. But I have to say, I found it pretty inspirational!

Well done you.
    Daily mortgage interest April 22 - £13.92 Reduction interest - £2.54
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off.
    April 22 - 24.21%/15.34%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2021 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 Aug 37
  • LibranharryLibranharry Forumite
    39 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I’ve only just stumbled across your thread. But I have to say, I found it pretty inspirational!

(I'm rubbish with this quote thing so if I've done it wrong I'm sorry!!)

Thank you!! I'm trying so hard to get rid of what we fondly refer to as "the albatross" (I read The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner at school :rotfl:) but since I banged that money on it's been issue after issue!

After updating my blog I decided to pay the mortgage arrangement fee. I really should have known better.

I counted up Pound Piggy, who has had quids stashed in her since last year for this very purpose, and had enough so decided to bite the bullet. Big mistake. Huge!

They have taken it and added it as another payment! My mortgage has now gone UP by 225 and it's sat in the arrears box! :mad: Back on the phone to the bank to find out what has happened!!! Apparently not many customers check their internet banking so often, so not many people spot it, not to worry, it will rectify itself by tomorrow and won't affect my credit history...... then I got a text to say my new offer was being processed!

Seriously considering the credit card option now! There have been too many hiccups in this past week.

I know I sound like a moaning old Harridan. I was over the moon when I made that payment, but with all the hassle, it's taken the joy right out of it. :( Has anyone else had these little issues?
    The aim is to be mortgage free by 2020. :j:j
    39 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    So the Spanish bank blew it again. I logged on, all excited on 3 sept expecting to be able to make any overpayment I liked. Our survey said..... Uh-huh!!

So I did the sensible thing and rang them. It was explained that for 24 hours I was on the variable rate but could make any overpayment I wanted via them - so I did. I was told the payment would take the term down by five months.

I logged on the day after to find my term has RISEN by months! After numerous calls, everyone has agreed that shouldn't have happened but I'm now being told it could take eight weeks to rectify!

Since the payment I've also made another mortgage payment, so each time I call, they get confused, because I keep quoting it should have been reduced by six months and they can't see it.

I have paperwork to say the term agreed when I moved over to the new package, but so far I have been told:

It takes 3 weeks to update the system.
    The calculation was incorrect.
    The overpayment hasn't hit your account yet (yes it has)
    We reduced your monthly payments in accordance with your request (nope. Defo ensured it was to come off the capital)
    We have no instructions on your account.

I've had enough. The last guy I spoke to told me to give it until the end of next week to rectify it. If, by next Friday, it hasn't been resolved, I will pull out everything I have (half of what I owe) and borrow the rest.

The headache that is going with this mortgage isn't worth it. I wanted to celebrate paying it off, and do it by myself with my own money. I fear that won't be possible now, and whilst I will own the house I will still owe to another body and that still means it isn't quite mine.

It's unfair and it's made me lose complete faith. I'm fearful I'll call them and sort the settlement figure, and pay it, only to find I've actually inadvertently borrowed an extra 30k or something!!!!

All I can say is when this has finally gone, so will my current account, savings, ISA and credit card. I owe no loyalty. :(
  • Blog update.

Spanish bank rang and were most apologetic. Seems there was an admin error somewhere and it's caused chaos for my account. Long story short, it's all been rectified and I received £150 goodwill.

I let the account settle for a few days, then made a tester payment myself online. It worked! I was over the moon! :j

I've made a larger payment since, and I think I'm back on track. Obviously the goodwill went onto the mortgage too! :rotfl:

Not too long left now, as this past week I have reduced the term down by nine months. I have put a lot of pressure onto myself and keep moving my own goal posts, but I can see a very large light at the end of the tunnel.
  • 26.94 paid off this week.

I got a rebate off the water bill and a refund for a broken phone case. Random amount but money I wasn't expecting so it's gone towards a mortgage overpayment.

That's about all I will manage this week. It's a long way until pay day.
    39 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Well... I've done it! I'm mortgage free!!!

I threw everything I had into the house for the last two months, and at the grand old age of 40 and 3 weeks, I now officially own my own property!

I'm living proof that anyone can do it. I got my penny jars out, and saved. I rounded up my bank account every day, put any rebates, refunds or unexpected money into a different account, and lived well within my means, budgeting and always checking for cheaper prices.

I've given my three children some great holidays, and made sure their Christmases were still fantastic, even on a budget.

I'm so proud of myself I can't say! I had set 2020 as my goal, so I'm feeling pretty epic I smashed it!!

Cheers to every single brick being mine! :beer:
  • DancingInTheRainDancingInTheRain Forumite
    973 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Just read your diary & wanted to say a huge congratulations on becoming mortgage free, what an inspirational story. Well done on your fantastic achievement, hope you're going to mark the occasion in some way x
    01.06.19 Debt £13,636
    Debt Free 25.07.20
    Started again 31.12.21 - WWOTW "What We Owe The World": £59,875 (Mortgage/CC/Student Loan)
    24.04.22 £56,530
    39 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just read your diary & wanted to say a huge congratulations on becoming mortgage free, what an inspirational story. Well done on your fantastic achievement, hope you're going to mark the occasion in some way x

Thank you!!!! I paid it off on Thursday, and that evening had a few friends round and a couple of bottles of champagne were popped! We spent the evening giggling! :beer:

People who know me well knew how important it was to me I paid it off, so they were happy to come and help me celebrate. Also, it stops their ears bleeding because I have droned on about "the mortgage" for three years! :rotfl: think they were all quietly relieved I'd done it!

Super proud of myself and the path I chose after my divorce. I could have buried my head in the sand and stuck with the 33 years. Erm.....nah! Focus, saving and determination won! X
  • PurpleFairy26PurpleFairy26 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just read your diary. Very inspirational. Congratulations:D
  • newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done :beer:

2022 MFW 67 £2715.11/£13,000

MFI3 No.12 £0/ £40,000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides