NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Help Choosing a Low Budget Gaming Laptop

Afternoon all,

I have done some research and have chosen two Laptops which are within my budget and look technically quite good , however I need some advise making the choice since one has a better graphics card but less SSD, I will be playing games but nothing major so need enough for at least high setting on the newer games.

1st choice the MEDION ERAZER P6689 GAMING LAPTOP:

Intel Core i5-8250U Quad Core Processor
15.6" Full HD IPS 120Hz Screen
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
8GB RAM
128GB SSD + 1000GB HDD
DVD Rewriter
Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Graphics
USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth

2nd choice the MSI GL62M 7RDX-2073UK:

Intel Core i5-7300HQ Quad Core Processor
15.6" Full HD Screen
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
8GB DDR4 RAM
256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD
Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Graphics
USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | DisplayPort
Backlit Keyboard in Red

Any feedback much appreciated.

Replies

• Can you play with the spec at all? I'm probably not so uptodate nowadays with my PC knowledge by I'd recommend atleast a 250GB SSD for your OS and 4GB graphics, Both have 8GB RAM which I would have said is a minimum want. Both i5 quad cores too
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    22.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you play with the spec at all? I'm probably not so uptodate nowadays with my PC knowledge by I'd recommend atleast a 250GB SSD for your OS and 4GB graphics, Both have 8GB RAM which I would have said is a minimum want. Both i5 quad cores too

This is a genuine question - what bearing has the 4GB graphics card on the amount of the storage for the primary drive?

128GB SSD is plenty for the O/S itself.

Another option is to run with th 128GB SSD and then upgrade it if / when it becomes an issue. I've just bought a 240GB SSD for £29.99 off of Amazon.

Either way, i'd run with the first machine.
  • motorguy wrote: »
    This is a genuine question - what bearing has the 4GB graphics card on the amount of the storage for the primary drive?

I did not say there was any, I think it is the way I have written it that lead you to that.

"I'd recommend atleast a 250GB SSD for your OS AND get a 4GB graphic card" probably would have been better
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    22.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I did not say there was any, I think it is the way I have written it that lead you to that.

"I'd recommend atleast a 250GB SSD for your OS AND get a 4GB graphic card" probably would have been better

Ah, i see what you meant now. Probably just how i read it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals