We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Help needed with a CCJ on my credit report
robotgirl_2
Posts: 150 Forumite
Well, my first ever credit report arrived yesterday.
It turns out I was issued a CCJ in September 2005, to an address I wasn't living at at the time, for £622. I've spoken to the court, and the debt is for GE Capital, for a Dorothy Perkins storecard.
I recently paid £498 to a company called Thames Credit in respect of the same account, this was a settlement which they agreed would clear the debt. They made no mention that they were collecting a CCJ, and I assumed that it had never got that far.
Aaah, what a stupid stupid assumption!
I've spoken to Active Capital, who somehow ended up with the case (I was referred to speak to them by the court when I rang up) and they say I can send them a copy of my letter from Thames credit showing I've paid up, and they will mark the CCJ as satisfied.
But can I do anything about removing it entirely, given the fact I never received the CCJ paperwork because they sent it to somewhere I didn't live? I realise I'm clutching at straws here because the debt is mine and the CCJ is my own fault entirely for not telling them I'd moved and just waiting til they caught up with me.
'm absolutely gutted and feel like a right fool. I nearly couldn't pick up the phone to ring them at all this morning. If I have to wait til 2011 for this to drop off I will, but it's just so disappointing to be finally dealing with all my past financial idiocy and see something I can't put right for another four years...
It turns out I was issued a CCJ in September 2005, to an address I wasn't living at at the time, for £622. I've spoken to the court, and the debt is for GE Capital, for a Dorothy Perkins storecard.
I recently paid £498 to a company called Thames Credit in respect of the same account, this was a settlement which they agreed would clear the debt. They made no mention that they were collecting a CCJ, and I assumed that it had never got that far.
Aaah, what a stupid stupid assumption!
I've spoken to Active Capital, who somehow ended up with the case (I was referred to speak to them by the court when I rang up) and they say I can send them a copy of my letter from Thames credit showing I've paid up, and they will mark the CCJ as satisfied.
But can I do anything about removing it entirely, given the fact I never received the CCJ paperwork because they sent it to somewhere I didn't live? I realise I'm clutching at straws here because the debt is mine and the CCJ is my own fault entirely for not telling them I'd moved and just waiting til they caught up with me.
'm absolutely gutted and feel like a right fool. I nearly couldn't pick up the phone to ring them at all this morning. If I have to wait til 2011 for this to drop off I will, but it's just so disappointing to be finally dealing with all my past financial idiocy and see something I can't put right for another four years...
Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
Debts at Highest: £7600.07
Charges Reclaimed: RBS -£3050
Debts paid off: £6374.86
Debt Free: February 2008 (!!!!!)
Debts at Highest: £7600.07
Charges Reclaimed: RBS -£3050
Debts paid off: £6374.86
Debt Free: February 2008 (!!!!!)
0
Comments
-
Well, here's the letter I've just sent to Active Capital anyway. I don't know how far it'll get me, but hopefully if anyone else has this kind of problem it might help - will keep the thread updated anyway...
----
robotgirl
robotgirl's house
9th November 2007-11-09
Thames Credit Ref: ***removed***
GE Capital Ref: ***removed***
Agreement No: ***removed***
Dear Sir/Madam
Further to my telephone conversation with a member of your staff on 8th November 2007, I am writing to inform you that the debt passed to Thames Credit (re the reference numbers above) has been cleared.
I enclose copies of letters between myself and Thames Credit to show this. Although I have paid a smaller amount than the original debt, their letter dated 15/10/07 states that the account has now reached paid in full status. I would be grateful therefore if you could amend the details on my credit report to show the matter as satisfied.
However, I would also like to note that the information on my credit report is of some concern to me. A judgement by Northampton County Court has been entered against my name, dated 26/09/05 at an address (***removed***) where I did not live at that time. This is the only reason I have taken so long to repay this debt; indeed had I received any details of court action before the judgement I do not believe it would have ever reached this stage. As you can see, as soon as Thames Credit got in contact and proved that the debt was owed, I paid them the full settlement as agreed.
Can you please therefore investigate the matter of this record? I would request that it is removed entirely from my credit file. While I appreciate that this may not be possible for your company to do, I would be grateful for any advice on how best to pursue this matter. I was unable to speak directly to the court on this issue as the matter had been passed to you.
I look forward to receiving your prompt response. If there is any information you require from me, please contact me at the address above or on **phone number removed***.
Yours sincerely,
robotgirlProud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
Debts at Highest: £7600.07
Charges Reclaimed: RBS -£3050
Debts paid off: £6374.86
Debt Free: February 2008 (!!!!!)0 -
Sorry if this isn't allowed, but I wanted to 'bump' this post - I haven't yet had a reply back from Active Capital and I don't know where to go to pursue my query.
Any help would be much appreciated!Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
Debts at Highest: £7600.07
Charges Reclaimed: RBS -£3050
Debts paid off: £6374.86
Debt Free: February 2008 (!!!!!)0 -
Im in a similar situation
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=606288
The following link http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/ccj-removal/index.htm seems to state that not receiving the initial summons is grounds for have it "set aside".
Im gonna give them a call in a bit see what their take on things is0 -
chapperlin wrote: »Im in a similar situation
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=606288
The following link http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/ccj-removal/index.htm seems to state that not receiving the initial summons is grounds for have it "set aside".
Im gonna give them a call in a bit see what their take on things is
Thank you for that link, very helpful
I read the set-aside thing somewhere too, but unfortunately the court wouldn't allow me to speak to them when I rang and shoo-ed me over to Active Capital. Maybe a letter to them might work better, eh? I shall make that my next move.
Hope you manage to sort something out with your CCJ too!
xProud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
Debts at Highest: £7600.07
Charges Reclaimed: RBS -£3050
Debts paid off: £6374.86
Debt Free: February 2008 (!!!!!)0 -
Hello all.
My confusion continues. The CCJ refered to in the earlier post is now not on my credit file!
Obviously I'm quite happy about this, but I don't understand why - I have still not received any communication back from Active Capital to confirm that the CCJ is in dispute, much less that it is to be taken off my record.
I've heard before that disputed items on your credit report can be removed temorarily whilst in dispute - could that be the case here? How long does 'temporary' mean if so?
Any help would be much appreciated.
xProud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
Debts at Highest: £7600.07
Charges Reclaimed: RBS -£3050
Debts paid off: £6374.86
Debt Free: February 2008 (!!!!!)0 -
I've no idea why it is no longer on your credit file. I was of the opinion that once it is on there, the only person who can remove it is a Judge.
Similar thing happened to me in the past. A bill was sent to my previous address, I never received it but paid as soon as I knew about it, unfortunately too late to beat the CCJ.
I had to take the originators to court (an easy process). The Judge took about 2 minutes to decide it was a mistake and set it aside.0 -
I thought the same too, Chr15 - the only thing that makes sense other than a dispute/temporary removal is if Active Capita have asked for it to be set aside - doesn't seem at all inkeeping with their policies
Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
Debts at Highest: £7600.07
Charges Reclaimed: RBS -£3050
Debts paid off: £6374.86
Debt Free: February 2008 (!!!!!)0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards