Frugal until 60!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Hopefuljoy
    Hopefuljoy Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello one and all and I hope you're all having a good weekend. Life here has been bust but good and I've now got my first a week in the new job under my belt.

The people are really positive and friendly and the job is varied and calm. Basically I feel happy to have made the move and that's been reflected in better sleep and money management. When I'm stressed my budgets do go to pot a bit!

In MSE news I've won two free meals on the McDonald's monopoly and cashed one of them today for breakfast on my way to see Shazam at the cinema. I pay for a monthly card and use it often! For anyone thinking of going it was a great film. Entertaining and well worth it.

I've also won a N×× TV package for two months on top of my DDs one and my Unlimited 2 months so I've done well.

Working in the library means I can rent films for free and also get books out without the danger of fines. That's a good thing for me as I have forgotten books before. No excuse now though!

I seem to have lost about five pounds in weight as well whichcks surprised and delighted with. Part of it is standing and moving all day and the rest must be the Save the Planet food I'm eating. The list below is everything we are recommended to eat so the Planet can support 10billion people. I bought everything except the fish and meat today and it came to 17.82 at L1d1. I have fish in the freezer and have already eaten my red meat for the coming week so just need to get some chicken tomorrow.

350g nuts = 50g per day<br>
    525 beans, legumes and lentils = 75g per day<br>
    196g fish = 28g per day<br>
    1.5 eggs per week<br>
    98g meat = 14g per day<br>
    209g chicken = 29g per day<br>
    1635g carbs brown = 232g per day<br>
    350g starchy veg = 50g per day<br>
    Vegetables 2100g = 300g per day<br>
    1750g dairy = 250g per day milk and yoghurt <br>
    1400g fruit = 200g per day<br>
    217g sugar = 31g per day<br>
    350g oils = 50g per day<br>

You can make loads of recipes with the above and it gives a total of 30g fibre per day as well. I am trialling it for a month.

My Mum is back on antibiotics for a chest infection which is not such good news. The cardiologist has.inssited sheb has another ultrasound next week. We've shared out the housework between the three of us sister's so she and Dad don't need to worry anymore but we generally feel helpless as a family. We will help her enjoy herself as much as she can and continue to givr her oodles of kindness and gentleness.

I hope your MSE missions are all going well.
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2474 post cat wee catastrophe!

Fashion on the Ration 55 coupons available in 2022
  • Hopefuljoy
    Options
    Happy Sunday chums! I am sitting happily St**rbu*ks having my weekly cup of tea. In the MSE spirit I have one large one and ask for one teabag on the side and then go up for a free refill with the spare later.

A couple of friends and I have planned a short and very MSE camping trip for the end of the month and I'm quite excited.

We will be take most of our meals as we have a fridge, the site costs £12 for the night per person and we have our Natty Trust cards to get into everything for free! One meal will be out at a nice local pub and I've budgeted £25 for that and teas out for the two days.

Tonight one of my DSis comes round for a meal and movie on Prime. She's job searching at the moment after redundancy and she's finally interested in my MSE ways!!! My hope is that she can get a lovely local job and have an easier life as she's had it quite tough for the last decade with lots of serious health issues. All resolved now but they've taken their toll on her.

In final 'news' I'm finishing the 'sewing' room aka tiny third bedroom today and starting my first sewing adventure! I can't wait to let you know how it does or doesn't get on!! I'm aiming for a maxi skirt but might end up with a tea towel!!

Have a lovely Sunday and I hope the sun is shining on you!

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,662 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You seem to have had a lot going on over the last few months but I love your positive attitude. Sorry about your DMs health. Worrying as your parents get older isn't it? I spent last week with my DM and SD who are now mid 80s and get frailer each time I see them as they live 250 miles away so I only see them every few months now they cannot get down here to Cornwall.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hopefuljoy
    Options
    Thank you enthusiasticsaver . There has indeed been a lot on and I agree, it's very hard seeing parents get more frail. I have found it very hard to adjust to and there have been some dark times for them and for us. I personally think one of the most important things is to let them know how well they have done raising us, even if that involves a bit of glossing over! Obviously for some it's not appropriate or right for them to pretend if there's been serious issues lime abuse and I'd never suggest that but it gives my mum peace and satisfaction to hear only positive things and all three of us daughters are happy to do that for her and Dad.

I'm sorry your parents are so far away from you. I'm sure you get to see them as much as you can. My grown up children and I use messenger to FaceTime each other. I wonder if they could master that. I know Barclays will train older folk for free if there's a beach nearby. Local libraries usually offer training as well. It might make all the difference. x

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,662 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hopefuljoy wrote: »
    I'm sorry your parents are so far away from you. I'm sure you get to see them as much as you can. My grown up children and I use messenger to FaceTime each other. I wonder if they could master that. I know Barclays will train older folk for free if there's a beach nearby. Local libraries usually offer training as well. It might make all the difference. x

My mum has an ipad but struggles with facetime so we make do with phone calls and my daily words with friends (a form of online scrabble) which she enjoys and keeps her brain fresh. My stepdad has dementia and hearing problems so conversation is difficult to say the least.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you considered installing Skype on mum's Ipad - may work better than Facetime?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure