18 Y/o Car fiance please help

Options
12346»

Comments

• King_Nothing
    Options
    An Astra, even a "rare" model Astra is never going to escape depreciation, might slow it down if you don't drive it, but then what's the point in having it then.
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All this thread has proved to me is what a good job the Vauxhall marketing boys have done when it comes to the VXR model.

At the end of the day, it's still a bloody Vauxhall :rotfl:
  • newmover
    Options
    Why are people even squabbling over the choice of car, thus chap won't be getting anything close to 7.5k in finance on his age, he will likely struggle getting a £500 credit card.

I mean seriously, an insecure job at best, living with mummy and thinking they can finance an 8k car? Cloud cuckoo doesn't even begin to describe this plan.
  • dfw69
    Options
    The sensible thing to do would buy a car with the £1000 that you have got in cash and then work and save for a few months. You sound like you are stretching yourself too far just so you can have a new car,what are you planning to eat for years while you slave away to repay the finance? What if you have to actually start paying to live somewhere like most people have to? What if you smash the car up and insurance refuse to pay? You will have a big debt and no car.
  • urb
    urb Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Without trying to sound like I'm trying to make you look bad......you say you're going to move in with your mate and will only have to pay x amount for rent. Do you even pay for your own food and other basic living costs at the moment? I think you're seriously underestimating your outgoing costs once you move out. I also made some bad choices when I was not much older than yourself. 8 years on and I'm still 2 years away to clearing my debts. It was easy to manage at first, but then things change life changes. It's so easy to fall into the debt trap.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You wasting your time now guys. The OP bailed 5 days ago - presumably because he was not getting the advice he wanted to hear.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You don't need to spend £7k. I've got a hyundai i10. It was 2 years old with 11k on the clock when I bought it. £5k and super cheap to run. You will stand a better chance of getting finance is you lower the amount you are spending as your income isn't that high. You can get a reliable reasonable new car for the £5k I spent, probably even less, it just isn't going to be flashy. You can get a flashy car when your income is better and you are older so can afford the ongoing repair costs!

This.

I drive a Jag (but spend a lot of time on motorways, can afford it without finance and like cars), OH has a Skoda Yeti, my mother drives a Chevrolet Spark.

The cheapest of these (the Spark) has been by far the most reliable of the 3. All of us do around 30k miles a year. The DSG gearbox in the Yeti has been the biggest pain, although in fairness to the dealer, they have rectified the problems swiftly and at no cost to us.

A £2-3k 3-4 year old basic car suits your needs perfectly, and there’s no reason why you can’t upgrade when you have the cash to do so.

Even a £1k runaround would do the job meaning there is no need for parts at all. As a mechanic, I am sure that buying something like a 1.6 Focus mk1 and raiding the scrappy’s spare parts bin when anything needs changing would save you money in both the short and long term, and lets you work on your skills.
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport