Help with Hoist

Options
Hello there, I'm very confused and hoping for some advice :(

I have until recently been paying off debt for eight or nine years via a DMP with a company called Money Save Solutions, (known as Euro Debt when I originally began using their service. During this year I decided to see if I was owed any PPI, and as a result of this I received enough money back to clear all of the outstanding debt I was paying with my DMP.

I requested a list of my creditors and the amounts outstanding from Money Save Solutions, and also asked them to check the Experian report I had sent last year in case there was debt against my name that I was not aware of. They promptly sent back the information and confirmed that the report had not highlighted any other debt.

I called each of my creditors cleared the balances as listed by Money Save Solutions, (I have to admit to a certain amount of delight when I was asked how I had come to have the money to pay them off, and I could say by reclaiming the PPI they had taken from me :) ).

I have recently received a letter from a company called Hoist Finance Uk Holdings 2 Ltd informing me that 'Hoist Portfolio Holding Limited has assigned all of its respective rights, interest, benefit and entitlement in respect of the above referenced account (including the outstanding balance) to Hoist Finance Uk Holdings 2 Ltd.

The information at the top of the letter says that the original creditor is MBNA and the outstanding balance is £11097.16. The original creditor account number is different to the one I have been paying via the DMP.

On 31st of August this year I paid the outstanding balance on the MBNA account to PRA Group (uk), which is the company that had been receiving the money being paid to clear the MBNA debt.

I have written a reply telling them what I have just told you, and have asked that they evidence the debt they say I have, including the CCA.

Would I be correct to send this? Is there anything else I should be asking? Does anyone have any idea what is going on????

Many many thanks in advance for any advice.

Juliecara

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,920 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 November 2018 at 4:14PM
    Options
    Hi,

I have moved your post to the general forum where it will be seen more.

Unfortunately if you have already repaid this debt, then the creditor no longer has any obligation to send you any information on the debt whatsoever, unless you make a subject access request to them, even then they are not obliged to send a CCA to you.

The time to ask for evidence of a debt is before you pay it, not after, or do you believe this account with MBNA is another debt entirely ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • juliecara
    Options
    Hi thank you for the reply and relocating the post for me.

I am not asking them for evidence of the debt I have paid, but rather for the debt they are now saying I have. Unless they were known by some other name, I am certain that I only had one account with MBNA. I am really confused???? I paid the outstanding balance given to me by the company managing my debt, and was given to understand that the Experian report didn't indicate any other debt. Also the account number they have quoted is different to the one that my DMP was paying to.
    :(
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Then the way forward is a prove-it letter and it sounds like effectively that is what you have done.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    juliecara wrote: »
    Hi thank you for the reply and relocating the post for me.

I am not asking them for evidence of the debt I have paid, but rather for the debt they are now saying I have. Unless they were known by some other name, I am certain that I only had one account with MBNA. I am really confused???? I paid the outstanding balance given to me by the company managing my debt, and was given to understand that the Experian report didn't indicate any other debt. Also the account number they have quoted is different to the one that my DMP was paying to.
    :(

Thanks for the clarification.

Agree with fatbelly here, essentially you have done the right thing, wait and see what comes back, then post again with there reply.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • juliecara
    Options
    Many thanks to you both, I’ll post it tomorrow. ����
  • juliecara
    juliecara Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hello again,
    I hope you have had a happy Christmas and I wish you all a happy, healthy and financially stable new year.

Following on from my previous post, I have now had a response, (from a company called Robinsons Way not Hoist Finance Uk Holdings 2 Ltd, the company which sent the original letter I received).

As you are aware I wtote to them and asked that they evidence the debt they say I have, including the CCA. The letter I have had back informing me in bullet points that:
    *Your account was passed to HOIST FINANCE UK HOLDINGS 2 LIMITED on 27/01/14
    (note that MBNA debt was already included in a being paid by my DMP at this time).
    *Your default date is 31/12/2008
    *Your current outstanding balance is £11,097.16
    *Your account was opened with the original client on 28/08/1998

They go on in the letter to say that they want to work with me to agree an affordable arrangements bases on my circumstances etc. etc.

There is no mention or acknowledgement in this letter regarding payments that have been made to repay the debt visa PRA Group (uk) via my DMP for 9/10 years. As previously stated the original creditor account number is different to the one I have been paying via the DMP. Neither is there any mention of the amount paid to clear the outstanding balance, (The outstanding balance given to me by Euro Debt, the company I had the DMP with).

I am so confused now I don't even know what my question to you is, just some Janet and John advise/guidance would be very much appreciated. Should I keep challenging this? Should I make an offer of a monthly amount repayment?

I am not attempting to avoid paying my debts. I lived with a DMP for many years, and cleared all outstanding balances in full on that plan at the first opportunity. I'm just floundering and so any advise would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Juliecara
  • sourcrates
    edited 4 January 2019 at 2:20PM
    Options
    Any chance you had two accounts with MBNA ?

You should never trust 3rd party debt management companies who charge you for what should be a free service.

Send a correctly formatted CCA request along with the statutory £1 payment to them, hoist and Robinson Way one an the same company.
  • juliecara
    juliecara Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I am sure there was only the one account with MBNA, unless they traded under a different name?
    And yes I understand your advice regarding the 3rd party. At the time of taking the DMP out I was in a terrible place.....broken down marriage, sole wage earner, companies circling like sharks, sleepless nights etc. I was scared to even open a letter. The offer of addressing the problem and not having to speak to the people threatening me was a dream come true........or so I thought :(

I was over the moon when I cleared the outstanding and said goodbye to Euro Debt. It was like living without a cloud over me again for the first time in years. Back to square one now though, and absolutely gutted!!

Do you think you could point me in the right direction for the formatted CCA request by any chance? What would I expect them to provide in response to it? At the bottom of their letter they have given me 14 days to contact them a put a repayment in place, I am eight days into that now, and their final sentence in the letter states that they now consider my dispute closed. Are they obliged to respond to the CCA?

Juliecara
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Ignore their deadlines - they mean nothing.

Info about a CCA request here

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/getting-information/credit-agreement-advice.aspx

If those dmp payments were not being passed on I wonder if there has been a six-year gap with no payments or other acknowledgement - if so the account would now be statute barred.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Fatbelly says, do the CCA request and see what they come back with.

When they do eventually reply, check the account number against the original one you have (if you still have it) and make sure it matches your records.

If, as you suspect, it doesn't then they are trying to get you to pay someone else's debt and you should fight this.

Wait for their reply first though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport