🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

East/west roofs -single or twin inverters?

Options
2»

Comments

• Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    theboylard wrote: »
    That would be useful, I've got one that is plugged in but has not been updated since i got it, right at the end of the oem kickstarter campaign for the emonpi!!!

Not wanting to derail JKenH thread any further, i'd just say that the emonPi forum and their guides are super helpful.

https://community.openenergymonitor.org/
    https://guide.openenergymonitor.org/

If you've already got an emonPi then maybe you're only a few steps away from getting import squirted up to PVO. :D
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • pensionpawn
    Options
    I have a very similar system to yours, 4kWs due East and 3.12kWs due West, all off one 6kW Solaredge inverter. My summer instantaneous peak is around 5.75kWs, so scaling up to your size array is 6.3kWs peak (Lincolnshire maybe less?), which would be clipped to 6kWs max output, probably slightly less. So one possible solution is to bin your existing two inverters and adopt the same solution, however that will obviously cost a little. As with anything in life, you have to balance the cost of not doing nothing against the calculated returnss!
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,889 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2018 at 10:07PM
    Options
    I spoke to my installer today who has also spoken to Northern Powergrid and he is going to put in a retrospective application. While he is at it I agreed he put in for 10 kWh to give a bit of scope to beef up the morning PV which is the weak link. I have 12 panels on the east roof and I am thinking if I can get them all on one string I can then use the second string for 4 or 6 panels on the garage roof which is south facing but in shade from 1pm onwards now. I should maybe have done that from the outset but none of the salesmen who came out suggested it. (There are velux windows on the roof which also get in the way and the wiring will be a bit more difficult as with our loft conversion you can’t get to the underside of the roof.) It is just that I have seen how much we miss out this time of year compared to a south facing system that it is worth a bit of effort to get a few panels pointing in that direction.

Assuming we can get it past the DNO then I need to notify my FIT provider of the extra panels. Am I correct in assuming they will then make a pro rata adjustment to my declared generation based on the number of panels added? If I am adding South facing will they make an adjustment to reflect that they produce more than east facing ones?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Options
    May be easier to put the additional panels on their own inverter and simply have them unmetered. Then there’s no discussion needed with the FIT provider?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Assuming we can get it past the DNO then I need to notify my FIT provider of the extra panels. Am I correct in assuming they will then make a pro rata adjustment to my declared generation based on the number of panels added? If I am adding South facing will they make an adjustment to reflect that they produce more than east facing ones?

You are spot on. They will apportion on the basis of kWp, so adding south to off-south should give you a small lift, whereas of course adding off-south to a south FiT system, would lose a bit.

BTW, you mentioned adding an extra string, did you mean to a different MPPT? Strings have to match as the inverter will run the MPPT to work with the lesser string - find a voltage point that both strings can operate at, so you need the same number of panels, and same orientation/pitch.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,889 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

BTW, you mentioned adding an extra string, did you mean to a different MPPT? Strings have to match as the inverter will run the MPPT to work with the lesser string - find a voltage point that both strings can operate at, so you need the same number of panels, and same orientation/pitch.

Ah, right. I thought the two strings worked independently and if you had an east/west roof you could use one string for each side. When I talked about adding a second string I meant using one string (instead of two currently) for the existing panels on the east roof and one for the south roof.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • pensionpawn
    Options
    Bear in mind shading / dirt accumulation as unless you are using micro optimisers each string will be limited by the worst performing panel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport